Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
8lb trilene XL, nothing fancy. I have never felt the need to switch to braid or flouro or anything else for that matter. Catches plenty of fish for me, no memory.

The tackle industry has everyone fooled into thinking you "need" the latest and greatest to catch fish.

·
collector
4,440 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I switched from mono to braid last year and I did not miss a fish.
When they are just barely tapping your bait, braid gives you much, much more sensitivity .
It does ice up more.

sent from space via rotory phone

·
Registered
393 Posts
I use 8 lb. mono it doesn't freeze as much as braid and if u get snagged up you can break off easyier. I take my boy a lot and mono is a lot better for him.

Posted from Michigan-sportsman.com App for Android

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
4 pound light green Trilene (not the flluorescent stuff for sure) in the boat or on the ice. This reminds me - I have to change the grease on one of my reels - the thing was really stiff to turn in the cold weather.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
20 lb 8/32 braid by suffix. And braids last longer

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
29,817 Posts
8 lb power pro braid. Its only 1lb diameter, super strong, great knot strength, no stretch, and does not twist! I love the stuff and i think ralph smith will agree :)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Yepper! Love the fireline, been using it sense it came out, but been switching up to this lately on jigging and casting rods. A barrel swivel on the end and some 6 or 8lb. fluorocarbon, and they don't stand a chance:D That is if they bite first:lol:

·
Registered
694 Posts
im giving Vicious copolymer 8lb test a trial run this year. No complaints yet. Since I spend most of my time in a heated shanty, think I will spool up some braid too at some point soon.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
so all you guys using braid dont have problems with it freezing up/sticking on spool. I tried braid and it was freezing up on the spool. maybe you guys are using ice braid i dont know. I switched to 10lb fireline now, not liking how it feels and it has tons of memory but havnt fished it yet maybe it will change a bit

·
Registered
25,415 Posts
10lb Fireline is pretty heavy for river Jigging presentations.., We use 4lb. Fireline crystal..;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
so all you guys using braid dont have problems with it freezing up/sticking on spool. I tried braid and it was freezing up on the spool. maybe you guys are using ice braid i dont know. I switched to 10lb fireline now, not liking how it feels and it has tons of memory but havnt fished it yet maybe it will change a bit
I use 6lbs braid on my reels on the river through the ice with the smallest black ball bearing swivel 2' above my lure and black cross snap swivel (just the part that goohs to the lure) to the lure...I am in a heated shanty and if I go out of the shanty wit braided line freezes up really quick so depends if ur in heat shanty wether to use braid or mono...and never ever put a full swivel to your lure. almost every fish will bite at the swivel before the hook (use the smallest black swivs u can find so they dont flash and dont affect the lure action the way the manufacturer designed to.they make lure to be tied to line...

Tight lines my friend wether it be braided or mono or sewing thread.

ComeOnNawFish

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I fish in a shanty and therefore use braid without any of the freezing problems associated with super lines. I also use a small ball bearing swivel 2' above a quick snap with an 8# fluorocarbon leader. This combination with a Mr. Walleye graphite Med action rod telegraphs the lightest bites.

I have been very happy with this set up.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
10lb Fireline is pretty heavy for river Jigging presentations.., We use 4lb. Fireline crystal..;)
Fer sure. 6# crystal for eyes, steelhead, everything. Barrel swivel and mono leader for a little shock absorber. I tend to get trigger happy and set the hook kinda hard.

Here fishy fishy..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts