Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of grass is this? It's a lowland area that has damp soil. I'd assume it will be wet in the spring. Any help would be great.
Lowland Grass.jpg

·
Banned
354 Posts
Reed canary grass. You have quite an establishment of it too. Very difficult to deal with. Glyphosate kills it but it will return the following Years.
It falls down pretty easy but you can drag tree tops into it and the tree tops will hold it up better.
RCG is not the best type of habitat but a little creativity and you can make it work in your favor.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. What kind of creativity are you talking about? Also, what's the difference between RCG and switchgrass?

I definitely have a lot of it.. But there are so a lot of shrubs and trees for bedding. It looks like good bedding area. What can I do to make it better?

image.jpg

·
Banned
5,454 Posts
Reed canary grass is a cool season grass. It falls over in late fall an winter. Fairly worthless for cover by itself in winter.

Killing is it is about as easy as maintaining a snow cone in hell.

Switchgrass is a warm season grass. It maintains cover all winter.

Here is an informative thread about utilizing and enhancing it:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/creating-cover-in-a-marsh.404812/

If you want to eliminate it, then google search for "Reed Canary Grass control and management for 90,500 articles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steven. I won't be able to do anything to it this year as I just bought the property. So I'll have to wait until next spring. The only thing I may do before the season is cut some small trails in it that lead to the oaks on my property.

Reed canary grass is a cool season grass. It falls over in late fall an winter. Fairly worthless for cover by itself in winter.

Killing is it is about as easy as maintaining a snow cone in hell.

Switchgrass is a warm season grass. It maintains cover all winter.

Here is an informative thread about utilizing and enhancing it:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/creating-cover-in-a-marsh.404812/

If you want to eliminate it, then google search for "Reed Canary Grass control and management for 90,500 articles.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Thanks for your response. What kind of creativity are you talking about? Also, what's the difference between RCG and switchgrass?

I definitely have a lot of it.. But there are so a lot of shrubs and trees for bedding. It looks like good bedding area. What can I do to make it better?

View attachment 189109
That does look like great bedding, hingecut some of them big trees into it.

·
Banned
5,454 Posts
Boofer, what equipment do you have to cut trails through it?

Are you going to hunt the early antlerless firearms season in two weeks?

I would definitely endorse WF's idea to start planting speckled alder. It is hard to get your hands on some of this treestock. Keep an eye out to buy some if Scott Bishop's family is selling some in the Spring. They will be big ones cheap. Otherwise buy them from Coldstream Farms but get your order in early. They have sold out quickly in the past and if you get them from Coldstream get at least three feet stock. Don't bother with the 6 to 8 inch stock.

One of the best strategies for reed canary grass is to plant trees that will shade it out in 5 years. The only tree I know can do this is speckled alder.

And also look into hybrid willows and dogwood shrubs.

Since the property is new to you, I would suggest putting up some observation tree stands on the periphery of your property and watch for deer during their crepuscular primetime (dawn and dusk) so you don't burn out any stands you want to hunt. Since there is a high population of does in the area, it is very easy to get busted on any one stand if you hunt it too much. Once this happens, the deer will pattern that stand and avoid it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My brother has a tractor with a bush hog I can use, but I thought about just dragging a fence with a couple bricks on it with my atv to mat it down.. What would you suggest? How wide should the trails be?

I'll keep an eye out for some speckled alders. When planting them, do I spray the RCG with round up, wait for it to die, then plant it? I would assume I plant these in spring?

Boofer, what equipment do you have to cut trails through it?

Are you going to hunt the early antlerless firearms season in two weeks?

I would definitely endorse WF's idea to start planting speckled alder. It is hard to get your hands on some of this treestock. Keep an eye out to buy some if Scott Bishop's family is selling some in the Spring. They will be big ones cheap. Otherwise buy them from Coldstream Farms but get your order in early. They have sold out quickly in the past and if you get them from Coldstream get at least three feet stock. Don't bother with the 6 to 8 inch stock.

One of the best strategies for reed canary grass is to plant trees that will shade it out in 5 years. The only tree I know can do this is speckled alder.

And also look into hybrid willows and dogwood shrubs.

Since the property is new to you, I would suggest putting up some observation tree stands on the periphery of your property and watch for deer during their crepuscular primetime (dawn and dusk) so you don't burn out any stands you want to hunt. Since there is a high population of does in the area, it is very easy to get busted on any one stand if you hunt it too much. Once this happens, the deer will pattern that stand and avoid it.

·
Banned
5,454 Posts
It is tough stuff to mow and you have to be familiar with any wet mucky areas with a tractor. Be careful you don't get stuck with his tractor.

Home depot in Howell rents a walk behind motorized brushhog that is similar to a DR brush mower. Check their rates on rental and budget extra time for cleaning up after wards with a hose and drive time. Drive time is on you. Even with the brushog, it can be difficult to mow through.

I personally wouldn't mow trails through it without a good game plan. But it is certainly adventurous, and fun and makes you feel like you are doing something.

Yes, you would plant speckled alders in the spring. But if you only spray reed canary grass one time in the spring it will laugh it's ass off at you. You need to keep going back and spraying it multiple times with roundup. Simazine has some residual properties and you should look into that. You can use weed mats and plastic physical barriers and you can mechanically cut it down as it grows. It grows super fast in may and June. If you only have a moderate number of plantings you can go around each month and cut it down with a hand held "corn knife" around trees and shrubs.

And planting trees and shrubs there generally requires some deer deterrent from browsing when they are young.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Lots of good advice there....spekled alder, tameracks and willows are the 3 best ive found that can hold their own against thr rcg. If you have trees you can hinge into it (or if it ever gets dry enough to drag treetops out into it) to help hold it up in the winter and seems to help slow the next years growth somewhat at my place. Ive used my weed whacker to make trails with the metal blade....not fun, but worth it. Renting a dr style mower sounds way more inviting. I would be very leary driving a tractor out there, let alone someone elses until you know where is safe and where isnt because of the likeliness of it sinking.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of good advice there....spekled alder, tameracks and willows are the 3 best ive found that can hold their own against thr rcg. If you have trees you can hinge into it (or if it ever gets dry enough to drag treetops out into it) to help hold it up in the winter and seems to help slow the next years growth somewhat at my place. Ive used my weed whacker to make trails with the metal blade....not fun, but worth it. Renting a dr style mower sounds way more inviting. I would be very leary driving a tractor out there, let alone someone elses until you know where is safe and where isnt because of the likeliness of it sinking.
It's my brothers tractor, so I'm not worried about if I sink it.. Haha! I probably won't take a tractor out there because it is soft, wet ground and it would probably get stuck. I'll have to think of some other alternative.

·
Registered
368 Posts
As for speckled alder, look into your local conservation district to see if they can special order it for you. Tuscola did this for me and at a better price than cold stream. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I would drag tree tops in there for structure. If u have brush in some areas i would cut some lower limbs so a deer could bed against base of the shrub and still have some over head cover. May even throw down a few bags of sand to raise and help keep bed high and dry.
20150606_160006_000.jpg
20150719_205122.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts