Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this low growing berry vien like bush growing, it looks like a rasberry but I don't think it is. I have Black Berry bushes growing and they grow up right, this plant grows low along the ground.

Also can you use store bought poatatoes for seed, I was reading in a magazine that said to buy disease free potatoe seeds.

Thanks
rw

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Looks like some sort of black/raspberry bush. It could be just one plant, and its not having a great time or in poor growing conditions. (for sure lots of competition with other plants)

As far as seed potato's, I suppose if you were to have large numbers or grow and sell, having disease free would be important.

For this late of planting, getting the right variety would be key. Taters like very well drained soil, and keep adequate moisture.

I think the round red/white potatoes used for boiling, have a shorter growing season than say Big Baking taters.

Whatever you use for seed, it should have growing "eye(s)". You can cut a eyed potato up in 3 or 4 pieces as long as each piece has an eye.

I havent been around garden potatoes for 50 yrs, so my memory might be fuzzy on a detail or two.

Google is your friend.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Rudi's Dad, I have these all over, they spread out horizontaly on the ground. They never grow verticaly, they seem to get ripe in June, early July. So I did not know if they are called June Berries.

·
Registered
20,902 Posts
Thank you Rudi's Dad, I have these all over, they spread out horizontaly on the ground. They never grow verticaly, they seem to get ripe in June, early July. So I did not know if they are called June Berries.
We call them dew berries around here, dont know the fancy name. like a bitter little blackberry.

June berries are service berries (or sugar plums). Lot like a blueberry on a tree, very good.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Yes, you can use store bought potatoes, but I've had less trouble with bugs when I purchased the treated seed potatoes. I've never heard anything about retardants being used on production potatoes. I have to think the Food and Drug Administration might not approve of such practices.

Up here it's a bit late to plant potatoes, you might be ok down there, tho. You should at least be able to get new potatoes, I'd think.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know we are a little behind on the garden, but we are going through with it. I did put in 16 hills of store bought potatoes last night, I have good sandy soil and next to the potatoes I have red beets and carrots. I am going to cover them all with straw later in the year and try to leave them in the ground a while. I thought about tarping it so no rain or snow gets on the straw and let frost get to the ground. Just a thought, I will see how far along they get before the frost starts.

·
Premium Member
8,061 Posts
Cover the carrots with leaves and leave them till spring. You will not believe the improvement in flavor if they are allowed to winter over in the ground. My late father in law did that and the carrots were to die for.

Same with parsnips. They develop a sweeter flavor if allowed to winter over.
Parsnips are a hard thing to get to germinate. Luckily I have a friend that knows the trick and I get lots of them from him every spring.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
IF,, i'm right,,, dewberries grow on low small vines.

but i believe they're always black. are the red ones on the picture ripe ?
but that looks to be a raspberry to me, growing on a stem or stalk

·
Premium Member
8,061 Posts
Do share 'ole wise one!!:help:
Ok Smart alec.

All I know is that he keeps a board over the row until they germinate. Why it works I do not know but I am not going to question his sucess.

Especially when the results are in the frying pan in the spring.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ok Smart alec.

All I know is that he keeps a board over the row until they germinate. Why it works I do not know but I am not going to question his sucess.

The secret to getting parsnips to germinate is keeping the soil moist for 2 to 3 weeks. The board aids in keeping the ground shaded and holding the moisture. They are a pain to get going but very well worth it. I dig mine from nov thru mid march. Not many people have ever had properly prepared parsnips but the people i cook em for cannot believe how good they are.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Just wondering if those store taters had sprouts? or were they just the way you buy them (no sprouts)
If they werent sprouted, it may be a while before something grows (if at all)
Keep us posted on how the taters turn out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I went to the USDA web site and did a search this is a copy of a larger article I found don't know how to post a link, the potatoe will still sprout

When potatoes are harvested, they're dormant and don't sprout. During storage, dormancy ends and sprout growth commences. Sprouting results in numerous biochemical changes, which are detrimental to the nutritional and processing qualities of potatoes. Postharvest sprouting is typically controlled during storage with chemicals that inhibit the process.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Ok Smart alec.

I was dead serious Tom ... I've never had much luck with parsnips. I've heard of the board trick for carrots, but never found the need. I'll have to try it on pasrnips.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have this low growing berry vien like bush growing, it looks like a rasberry but I don't think it is. I have Black Berry bushes growing and they grow up right, this plant grows low along the ground.

Also can you use store bought poatatoes for seed, I was reading in a magazine that said to buy disease free potatoe seeds.

Thanks
rw
I want to say to all thanks again for comments, I wish we would have had rain because I have many of the berry bushes all over the place and as they would rippen I would collect them and if you wait till they are going to start drying out, they are sweet. But the lack of rain has many drying up before they even got going to that point. I guess I will have to wait for next year, I think I will be spreading out a bunch of those dry ones.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IF,, i'm right,,, dewberries grow on low small vines.

but i believe they're always black. are the red ones on the picture ripe ?
but that looks to be a raspberry to me, growing on a stem or stalk

you are right, these plants are growing acoss the ground, the photograph does not show it well, and also yes that red berry is not ripe yet, they turn a black purple color, and when they are really ripe, I have found them to be real sweet tasting and good.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just wondering if those store taters had sprouts? or were they just the way you buy them (no sprouts)
If they werent sprouted, it may be a while before something grows (if at all)
Keep us posted on how the taters turn out.
I will post an update on the taters, thanks,
rw

1 - 20 of 20 Posts