Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not supposed to get out this weekend. But I did. Got this banded mallard yesterday morning:

The band must be something from a private bander. It has a light 133 printed on it but no other info except UEI PAT.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Might be a pen raised bird. Some states require breeder to band there birds. I have seen those bands before from other guys and I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Awwwww!:(

Ya shot little Tammy's pet duck ;) ;) :D

I have no idea never seen one like that. :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
I'm guessing the same as Just Ducky- game farms typically tag their birds and I believe they also remove the "thumb" from the foot as an indicator. thought I heard that somewhere.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
We put those bands on our 4-h birds. I've never seen them on ducks but I wouldn't see why they wouldn't use the bands on them. Beautiful bird!

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
There is a fed band like this - but it would have the same "Avise" info on it as the other leg irons. My buddies son got one this fall in Ohio and had it mounted. I believe he said it was banded in MO two years earlier.

Stacemo- they shot some birds out of that field this past weekend. Limited on Geese Sunday, but no one saw your bird! :p

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Branta,
Yes. I saw you pumping the water, what Thursday? And I thought you were already putting out dekes. When I got my binos I saw they were dirt clods. Friday that little pothole of yours was full of mallards and a few geese. I knew you were going to do well. I was able to get out Sat morning and got this double out of a high flock. Sunday I got in a better pothole. Missed my birds though. I could only leave the kids for a couple of hours...

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Should have come out... could've used you Thursday!! :D

those clods were what I was shoveling out of the bottom of the pit!

After all that work, would you believe that I gave that spot to my partners this weekend? Yup, On Friday, I found THE' field and faired even better than they did.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Branta,,
How "ironic" is this,,, my nephew shot a drake mallard, this weekend, and when we got it back to the house, I started looking at it "real" good,,,,,,,,,you guessed,,, one toe GONE, on the left foot:eek: I thought it was really weird because, it was a "clean cut", didn't really look like it was shot off. I guess your explaination might explain the missing toe. Either that or he got caught stealing in Iraq and they chopped his toes and told him to leave and never come back.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Now if you guys get a private/non fed band from this guy "Jack"
from across the creek. Just send me a PM and I'll take care of that one for you too!! :D

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Got a "Jack Miner" black duck several years ago on Lake St. Clair. Always kind of fun to get one with leg iron. The best I've gotten was a drake woodie that was 13 years old and banded in Tennessee. That birds was HUGE! I still kick myself for not getting that one mounted, but then I was young and stupid way back then.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That bird is from canada, the band is typical of the types used in the more remote regions of northern saskatchuan. The tuk-tiia-uk-tuk band of indians use them when getting federal money to help count and band birds. the gov't flys them into the hard to reach areas in late summer. Unfortunatly the band they are given make for pretty jewlery so they improvise by using the caps from their empty beer cans. the identifying factors are the indentations which come from their teeth marks when crimping. each one is unique to the particular person banding. As far as what W Bonny was describing, in his reply. Well thats just a missed crimp.

·
Registered
425 Posts
There are actualyy a couple things you can do. Saskatchuan has receintly seen in insurgence in tourism focused around these bands. As was mentioned earlier each crimping mark in is specific to the "crimper". Many families are now taking treasure hunting vacations to find the "crimper " of the particular band they have. Some of the more savvy seekers even go as far as flying into the remote areas and locating the original beer can tha the band came from. Obviously they need to find the "crimper" first to get clues to the location of the can. This makes for a fun and exciting vacation family vacation in the senic areas of northern saskatchuan. what better way to spend quality time with the family. apparently this is becoming Very popular. Brad Pitt and Jennifer Anniston have been witnessed on one of these treasure hunts and my sources tell me the E! channel has done a segment on this. It should be airing soon on the show "Wild On" with Brooke Burke. Apparently she had her hands full with this piece as the locals took a real liking to her. email me and i would be happy to tell you more, or, if you would like to take part in the treasure hunt with your band I would be happy to provide you with my guiding service. Just place your reservation soon as these trips fill up quickly after the duck season. Please mail me a certified check for $10,000 which covers all expenses for a family of 4.

·
Premium Member
12,377 Posts
How much extra is the Big Foot excursion?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts