Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I am asking, is that I shoot a vertical , and own an x-bow. so now I have thought that when buying broadheads,( I know they make x-bow heads and that you should not use regular heads in an x-bow. ) I started to buy x-bow heads, to use in either. but lately, I have heard of a couple of myx-bow buds complaining that their mechanicals opened on the shot? I am curious if this is common, or and excuse, ( I have a few) for a bad shot?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have used mechanical when PSE Mach flite with an over draw came out. Previously used thunderheads but could not get consistent until went to expandables at the time used spitfire. When crossbows became legal starting using them but after losing a deer that was well hit. I did some research and many reviews had deer being found later with the broadhead did not open on entry which allowed arrow to block blood flow. Since then I have been using Rage and the only thing is the old collars were rubber O rings that needed constant checking on to make sure the blades did not come loose from quiver or the O ring rotting and not giving the proper form fit. The Rage now come with the same as the crossbow with a plastic collar which prohibits early opening. That is unless you hit a twig, branch or something before hitting the deer. That being said those are the only expandables that I have used or have personal experience or knowledge of. Even with the new collars I still check them to make sure they are in the correct position before inserting bolt to crossbow. I have yet to have one that opened up from using a crossbow. The crossbows I have used them with were 330, 350, and just recently 390 FPS. Hope this information is helpful.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Any thing that says Swhacker on the box.Check out their u-tube videos.Heard too many horror stories about Rage.All good expandables will kill deer,shot placement is more critical than what head you use.Any diameter more than 2" is unnecessary and can result in poor penetration even with the fastest x-bow.jmo...

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Any thing that says Swhacker on the box.Check out their u-tube videos.Heard too many horror stories about Rage.All good expandables will kill deer,shot placement is more critical than what head you use.Any diameter more than 2" is unnecessary and can result in poor penetration even with the fastest x-bow.jmo...
Yep everyone is gonna have their favorite for sure. Rage has not failed me yet...:)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yep everyone is gonna have their favorite for sure. Rage has not failed me yet...:)
The collars on latest version on Rage is certainly an upgrade from the o-rings on the earlier version.My concern is the blades break on them rather easily in my experience
with them that is why i no longer shoot them.+ had one open prematurely(o-ring style)
shooting at a broad head target.No issue with Swhacker as they use shrink tube to
retain blades.The video "The science of slice"is an eye opener as to why some heads are just superior to others...

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
My xbows are to fast for fixed heads, just can't get them to sight in perfectly.
Centerpoint Gladiator 405
Centerpoint Heat 415
We use Rage Hypodermic Crossbow heads. All deer shot have been pass through.

I use Rage because I MUST have a rear deploying head. 2" entrance hole just incase it doesn't pass through.

·
Registered
19,135 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/i/284031602114...a=1&pg=2386202&algv=DefaultOrganic&brand=Rage

With these you get a practice head of the same design. After sighting in with field point, the practice head was slighly different. Expect most or all are.
You need a target that can handle a crossbow and allow for shooting a broadhead into. While the practice heads do not deploy, they will be had to pull out of the bag type targets. Gotta be a very dense foam. Not easy to find.

L & O

·
Registered
438 Posts
Got anymore info?

Did blades bend?
Can u find 150gr field points?
Did they exit?
Yes you can find 150 grain field points, my excalibur shoots well with the 150 grain. I lose some speed but get more power with the heavier weight. My Ex cal is 400 fps but with 150 grain it is shooting 370 FPS.
All exits and had one where the blade of one side bent a little but they also make 100 and 125 grain but the cut will be slightly less.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm a new crossbow user as of this season and opted to go with the 125 grain Spitfire Maxx mechanical with the chisel point. In target practice these flew exactly like my field tips with no sight adjustments required. Have filled one tag thus far and all I can say is it is a devastatingly wicked head that opens up large entry/exit wound holes.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
I use the rage pictured above. Fly nice and really nice wound channel, lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
I shoot trypan 100grain out of my xbow drop tine and my mathews monster mr5. I never use the red collars only the grey ones. They fly true never i mean never do not open and always stay closed in flight. Was a bad shot on my part but 35yards threw 2 ribs cut the rear leg bone and blades are straight. Had 1 last year straight down spine upper ribs then out the lower rib cage cut the knee cap in half only went 35 yards. Just my input good luck out their.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,992 Posts
I use Shwacker 150 grain which gives a 3 inch cut. They are 4 for 4 with 30-60 yard recovery area.
Same! They put the rages that I was shooting (same as others have posted) to shame. The wounds are very easy to tell apart. I actually shot two does about 10 minutes apart. One with the rage and one with the shwacker. I will see if I can find the pics I took for the difference.

Got anymore info?

Did blades bend?
Can u find 150gr field points?
Did they exit?
Mine came with an identical field tip that doesn't deploy, much like the rages do.

Haven't had an issue with blades bending.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts