Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the west side experts - when the water temp is 70 from top to bottom say out to 100ft in depth what is your program / game plan for these conditions?

Do you still fish shallow in the early am and pm? Or do you motor west until you find fish on graph and/or temp break?

Also, if I compare cannonball blowback angles at a constant speed are they greater while going with the current or greater while going against the current?

Thanks,

John Carter

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not a pro by any means, but I would keep heading deeper until I find the temp break.

As far as blow back on the riggers I would think you would have more trolling against th current. However lately at the Joe we have been running our riggers 100' plus down so you do have plenty of blow back.

Clair

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it is west side as in west side of michigan. Here is my answer. The water this morning out of grand haven was high 50's low 60's in the 100 foot range (down at the bottom) we hit fish from 60 to the bottom. When you get to about 130 and the rigger at 100 it starts dropping to the low 50's and we had 44 at 110 was the deepest we set today. The currents can change this water everyday but in general they will hit in the warmer water but usually will quit after a while in the morning. For the blow back look at it as if in a river if you are going upstream into the current the blowback is going to be greater than if you are going downstream or with the current. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
If there is bait there, I fish it. Bait like the warmer water, so at that time, so do the samlon.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Like SalmonBum said, salmon like bait fish. They will go out of what is considered preferred water (42-49?) if there's nothing to eat in that temp. We saw that earlier this summer where there was not a fish to be found in the ideal water, but they were all in 53 to 57 degree water - because that's where the food was.

Then, just when you think you have that figured out, in factors the fall spawning run when they're going to be running no matter the temp and no matter the bait fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts