Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning guy's;
I would like to get some opinions on what would be more effective for winter hardwater fishing. Would you use fluorocarbon line or braided line?
Both have there advantages and disadvantages, So I could sure use some help with this line question. It would be very helpful to first time anglers and would satisfy the curiosity of the rest of us that have not yet use ether product. Thanks for your responses in advance, and Happy fishing to you all. Be safe and God Bless
Jerry the Disabled Sportsman.:):D:dizzy::help::fish:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If I had to choose between the two I would probably go with a fluorocarbon line but right now I use a mono...... Berkley Trilene ice line. I'll probably test the P-line fluoro-ice out next year on a rod but I just spooled all new with Trilene ice. P-Line makes a fluoro-ice line that they say doesn't have the memory problems and fluorocarbon doesn't freeze since it doesn't absorb water. It is expensive stuff though around $20 bucks for 250 yds. I heard braid has a tendency to fray from the cold weather.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i've fished with both carbon and mono carbon is more$ but worth it just my 2 cents good luck. BE REALISTIC NOT A STATISTIC:fish:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
if your fishing walleye flouro is not needed .or pan fish or perch for that matter. Now if your fishing trouts thats a different story .

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Here's what I do:

-6# smoke fireline for a mainline
-Tie on a small ball-bearing swivel to the end of the fireline
-Then use about 18'' or so of maxima ultragreen for a leader
-Tie on lure of choice to the end of the leader, no snap swivel or anything like that. I've seen it done, and have never understood it

The braid can freeze up if your fishing outside, but if your in a shanty it shouldn't be an issue. Especially if your using a heater

I've seen lot's of different equipment and methods used, and they all seem to have their day. I don't think line choice matters as much as giving the fish what they want when they want it. But if you want, try this method out.... Have fun, good luck

·
Registered
617 Posts
I used 6# maxima mono for my ice rods up until a few years back when a rod builder from thorne bros. talked me into trying P-line floro-ice. He reccomended 5# for eyes. I haven't used anything else since. Pluses I see over mono are, thinner line diameter, no memory, invisability, and knot strength. I also use the 3 # perch, and 2 # for gills. I know 5 # sounds lite, but I fish a lot and have not lost a single lure due to line snapping yet. Set your drag properly and you should be ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts