Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about what everyones favorite cover scent was, not including lure scents??? I've used fox scent, apple scent and the trusty skunk scent.

This may sound awful, but I still say that I've had the best results with the skunk scent, even though it stinks to high heaven. :dizzy: The trick is to not use too much. I put it on some cotton q-tips on the 4 corners of my blind on one on my hat. In all the years I've used skunk scent, I don't ever recall having a deer wind me.

The thing is, it's not that easy to find in the stores. I've found in recent years, I can find it on the Internet a lot easier.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
No scent at all. I'm a firm believer in not putting anything in the woods that wasn't there to begin with.

All I use is Atsko scent elimination spray and wash my cloths in Sports Wash.

The trick is to be a ghost.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Amen on not using anything. Cracks me up when I see people buying scent wafers etc in EARTH scent. DUH, your setting on the earth......GEEZ.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I'm kinda partial to "Coon Pee". Thats not far from skunk spray or have you ever smelled a real live red fox in the woods,,, PEEEEEEEE UUUUUUUUUUUU.
The funny part of the coon pee is,, the last few hunts I've noticed an over abundance of coon tracks all around my stand.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Kick some dirt up to make fresh dirt smell, Go around myself and cut a limb on a couple small pines to allow the pine scent to fill the air and then sit back and wait.

The pine will overwhelm a lot of scent.

·
Registered
808 Posts
wally-eye said:
Amen on not using anything. Cracks me up when I see people buying scent wafers etc in EARTH scent. DUH, your setting on the earth......GEEZ.
So because you sit on the ground you smell like earth? :confused:

if that was the case, ya sit on your butt, How did ya get that to smell like dirt :lol: :lol:

Didnt crack me up when i had a big buck standing ten feet downwind and all he could smell was the Earth scent wafers. Laugh if ya must, but dirt works great...I also have the white oak acorn scent too. the white oak is a great scent to have floating around your stand, if your not hunting pine trees that is. :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Poison Ivy:
I saw Skunk Scent at Gander Mountain in Flint this last week.

Personally, I believe in being invisible

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I will have to say that I have tried different covers scents, scent elimination sprays and different combinations of the two. I wash all of my cloths with scent killer wash or baking soda then store it in scent free bag until I get to my hunting spot. Then before I put my camo or blaze on I spray my under layer with spray. Then I put on my outer layer camo/blaze then I spray that down including my boots which have baking soda in them to kill foot oder. Then when I get into the woods I spray the bottom and top of my boots with red fox pee. Then when I get to my stand if I have worked up sweat getting their I carry a small bottle of scent killer than I spray down again. Mind you one of my underlayers also includes scentlok, also my hat and gloves are scentlok. Don't forget about wipping your equipment down with scent killing whips to. I only oil the metal parts with a very light coating of oil to prevent rusting on damp morning.

It may sound anal but I have seen alot more deer this way.

fulldraw

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought some of the earth scent natural pine. Haven't used it yet...kinda leery....it smells like a pine cleaner for the house....didn't know real pine smelled that strong. Otherwise, I just use scent killer or a scent killer with an autum scent.
Mindy

·
Registered
124 Posts
ytlabs said:
Kick some dirt up to make fresh dirt smell, Go around myself and cut a limb on a couple small pines to allow the pine scent to fill the air and then sit back and wait.

The pine will overwhelm a lot of scent.
That's awesome. Ive used old rotted stumps to clean my boots on the way out and turned up the dirt, or I'll stomp on some of those green or rotted black wallnuts or an apple to add some natural scent- but the pine clipping is great. Thanks YtLabs.

Taking an apple for a snack serves a good scent cover purpose as well.

Jim

·
Registered
857 Posts
tree dweller said:
That's awesome. Ive used old rotted stumps to clean my boots on the way out and turned up the dirt, or I'll stomp on some of those green or rotted black wallnuts or an apple to add some natural scent- but the pine clipping is great. Thanks YtLabs.

Taking an apple for a snack serves a good scent cover purpose as well.

Jim
Thats the best remedy for a cover scent I've heard. But the best scent is no scent IMO. If I stink up my boots I by accident somehow I might try that.

"cover scents" don't make sense to me, I mean if you cut a fart in a flower shop its going to smell like farts and flowers right?

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I try to use the "natural" scent methods noted in previous posts (dirt, cedar, pine). But also use one called "Moonfire". I think it is made by the same people who make Active Scrape (Wildlife Research I think). It isn't a sex scent, but an curiosity scent. I had deer actually appear to be following it's smell last year.

Plus it smells kind of good, so you don't have to smell pee all day.;)

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I agree with "trying" to be invisible,, but even your best laid efforts ain't gonna fool a whitetails' nose. That's why I use the "cover scents". I at least "try" to confuse them a lil'.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts