Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have that stuff also. I'm not sure what it is either but from my experience, RU doesn't work the best on it when its that tall. But when I mow it and then spray a week later that seems to kill it off well

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Looks like goldenrod to me. At least most of it. You'll know for sure soon enough.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I would be OK with that...
It's not a bad thing. It provides fairly good cover, is browsed and stands up to winter weather fairly well.
The only problem I have seen, as proven by your picture, is that it becomes a monoculture and supresses other forbs from growing. Deer prefer and are very attracted to a field that offers a variety of natural forbs. I am going to experiment with one such monoculure field I have by spraying a section of it next spring and see what grows back in. I'm sure some of the goldenrod will come back but my guess and hope is that some other forbs will reappear too.
Dr. Craig Harper will be presenting on this very topic at the QDMA habitat day this weekend and I am very interested in hearing what he has to say. Mother nature food plots, I like the idea and am leaning toward this practice as opposed to the time and money spent on my man made food plots.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feed back hunter....
Fortunately, we have a diversity of cover...some of which is not desirable though.
Switchgrass has been established in areas now we are getting areas with this possible goldenrod with other 'stuff' growing I cant identify.

Looking over the EW screen (below) you can see our SG with some of that last years mullien mixed in and if you see that light green patch to the right (in front of white water tank) you will notice a new patch of that ?goldenrod?
This stuff poped up in areas that the SG was never established. No more then 1/4 acre plots spread throughout our 'prairie' areas.

(below) This is a view from the road looking at an EW Screen.
Here we have some undesirable grasses I will be spraying and mowing prior to next summer in hope of releasing some NWSG...

Im setting my goals to what your doing next year also....improving the old prairie areas of our property.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts