Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The central Michigan thread inspired me and got me a little excited about next week...So, what are the plans for everyone for the first Michigan opportunity to get on the ducks this year?

We will be sticking with the time tested tradition of joining the entertainment, I mean hunting, at one of those storied central Michigan hot spots.:rolleyes: We will head up Friday morning to set up camp and get ready to join the crazies at the mighty Haymarsh for the opening morning excitement. I chuckle when I see all the stories in the other threads about Martiny and Haymarsh, as well as some of the other public grounds, because they are sooooooo true!! Everything that has been said, we have seen. Yet, we continue to go every year.:yikes: We just go with a different set of expectations than any other hunt of the year.

You do not go to those areas looking for a serious duck hunt on opening day, in my opinion. We use it to make sure gear is all ready to go, dogs get some work, no mud in the gun barrels, get any rusted shells out of the mix, find the decoys that float crooked...etc...We do get some ducks and some shooting and we have a good laugh at the ballisitcally challenged groups around the marsh. We enjoy an adult beverage or two in the evenings and expand on the lies from the previous year, hopefully get the dogs a couple retrieves and throw a wood duck or two on the grill.

Granted, it is not a limit of greenheads that were taken feet down over the decoys, but it does kick the season off and it is certainly better than the arm long list of honey do's that I swore I was going to get done before season, but didn't...again!!;)

So, if anyone is in the area my trailer will be set up in the campgorund right there, stop by in the evening, share your stories and we'll have plenty of cold pops in the cooler. Hope everyone enjoys the start, and stay safe!!

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
The central Michigan thread inspired me and got me a little excited about next week...So, what are the plans for everyone for the first Michigan opportunity to get on the ducks this year?

We will be sticking with the time tested tradition of joining the entertainment, I mean hunting, at one of those storied central Michigan hot spots.:rolleyes: We will head up Friday morning to set up camp and get ready to join the crazies at the mighty Haymarsh for the opening morning excitement. I chuckle when I see all the stories in the other threads about Martiny and Haymarsh, as well as some of the other public grounds, because they are sooooooo true!! Everything that has been said, we have seen. Yet, we continue to go every year.:yikes: We just go with a different set of expectations than any other hunt of the year.

You do not go to those areas looking for a serious duck hunt on opening day, in my opinion. We use it to make sure gear is all ready to go, dogs get some work, no mud in the gun barrels, get any rusted shells out of the mix, find the decoys that float crooked...etc...We do get some ducks and some shooting and we have a good laugh at the ballisitcally challenged groups around the marsh. We enjoy an adult beverage or two in the evenings and expand on the lies from the previous year, hopefully get the dogs a couple retrieves and throw a wood duck or two on the grill.

Granted, it is not a limit of greenheads that were taken feet down over the decoys, but it does kick the season off and it is certainly better than the arm long list of honey do's that I swore I was going to get done before season, but didn't...again!!;)

So, if anyone is in the area my trailer will be set up in the campgorund right there, stop by in the evening, share your stories and we'll have plenty of cold pops in the cooler. Hope everyone enjoys the start, and stay safe!!
Great attitude Daisy. The only attitude to have if you willingly go to those places. We used to do the opening day thing in zone 2 every year, but I got to a point where I wasn't willing to put up with all that. But that's my choice.

Instead of hunting zone two opener, I'll be packing for our Nodak trip.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Heading up North for the opener. Have been the last 5 years. Mid state. No matter what we see or get it is a fun time. Sure is nice to get some birds for the dog though. Will be up in my usual spot, hopefully it will remain somewhat unpressured. Usually only a few other parties find it each year, so it is not to bad. Funny story, we scouted this place Friday eve, saw enough birds coming in to cause a restless night last year on the opener. We got up early, and headed out. Got to our anticipated launch site and there parked a camper and truck ! Well, we thought, big enough place we can all hunt out of the way. Well as we were dragging boat out of the back of the truck and getting ready for the push to the water two guys stumbled out of the camper and looked around. Aparently they did not get in until late at night and the alarm did not go off ! They thanked us profusley for waking them up with the headlights. After **** chatting a minute finding out where they intended to hunt so we could possibly avoid being close, we discovered they were from Battle Creek as well. So small world. Thought I found a little honey hole there. Since they had staked their claim on the spot I wanted to go to I let them have it and we edged around to another hole. We still managed a few birds, but they got some good shooting in. All told we all had fun.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Good luck over there Chris, remember to breathe in/breathe out, breathe in/ breathe out. :D I'm forgoing the masses this year, and hunting a private section. From all accounts, its going to be good. But since it's me, the birds will probably be gone by then, thats just my luck. But whether the birds fly or not, it'll still be a good way to start the season. Birds are just a bonus on any opener.

·
Registered
572 Posts
U.P. Baby! Munuscong Slaughter and fun house. Ill be out there before anyone else fending off our spot for the 7th yr in a row. Then down to Lake Huron side Sunday.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've been going up to Munuscong since I was 18, i'm now 46. I used to go up and trap for 2 weeks in October, found out how many ducks were up there and started to hunt there shortly after that.

The one thing that amazes me about that place is................ you can get out to your spot you scouted the day before, get set up hours before shooting time and....................................................................... low and behold 1 hour before shooting time, here comes a flotila of boats all armed with 3 million candle power spot lights from the river. All trying to coverge on the same water behind Munuscong island. Simply friggin amazing.

Gave it up a few years ago, just no fun anymore. Absolute bone heads side winding you by 60-70 yards on both sides, with no care in the world about you or anyone for that matter. Or setting up directly down wind 70 yards in front of you in a clump of cattails. :yikes: You say something like hey your setting up to close or whatever, no response. After the shooting starts they decide that's not a good place to be. They start to pick everything up, for 45 minutes birds flareing all over while their in their decoys froggin around. :rant: Nope, don't need the frustration. You can have it! Maybe in late october or early November but not on the opener! :rant:

Smoke staying home getting ready for Southern Ontario where it's safe!

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
More than likely hunting around home in a cornfield for ducks and geese. Lada mallards flying around this year.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Heading up to Escanaba Friday. Quick scout Friday, and set up for some mallard , pintail and teal shooting Saturday morning. Haven't had anybody hunting within a mile of me for the last two years.

·
Registered
821 Posts
This year will be a little interesting. My husband will be hunting with some friends on opening day, so I'll more than likely head out with his dad, brother, and my uncle. We'll be hunting state land, but hopefully in some more out of the way spots. I really need to do some scouting in some new areas.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'll be heading up to Clare County to hunt a lake that usually has no other hunters. I met a local hunter on this lake a few years back on opening day. We were going to hunt the same spot so we hunted together that morning and we now hunt together every year when I come up. If there happens to be other hunters I have some old out of the way spots nearby and some newer ones that I am going to scout out on friday. I'm actually kind of excited about the new spots.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Campground is off 21 mile rd, I think at 140th...there is a big Haymarsh State Game area sign as you start up the hill. Turn right there and follow the road around, camp sites on the left hand side.

I don't know why we keep doing it...crazy I guess, but we have fun just the same. So far we have at least not encountered anything unsafe with other hunters, just A LOT of skybusting and the craziness of everyone trying to find a spot in the spotlight wars in the morning.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'll be in Iosco County - well out of hearing range from Tawas Lake and Tuttle Marsh!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I will be leaving thursday night or early friday morning, headed to the Les Cheneaux island area, have been hunting with the same guys for going on 10 -11 yrs. Friday will consist of a little grouse/wc hunting in the morning followed by some scouting and perch fishing in the afternoon. Then it will be an early wake up call and a long judging by the weather cold night in the boat.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Never have gone, but does anyone go to Houghton, or Higgins Lakes?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yup. Lots of folks hunt the opener on Houghton, it is all layout hunting there, but you can still get mallards there. Some folks make their boat an island sort to speak covered blind all the way with only small opening. Works opening weekend, then stick to layout hunting. Usually a lot of birds there. Lots of room too, you coul dhunt a 100 boats out there and still not be in the way.

Higgins lake only has one spot I beleive you can hunt. Island with no houses on the one end. Never seen to many hunt there. There is a small lake just down the road from Higgins near Sharps Corner. You can hunt that, looks ducky.

·
Registered
373 Posts
We'll be headed up to the Houghton Lake area. Not on the big water but some timber areas we found. Still can get a bit crowded but got to get out early and expect a lot of preasure. Last year was really good a light fog and we got the area we wanted. Limited on green heads so all and all great day. Hope to do the same. Any one else gonna be in the area PM me and we can hook up and exchange stories over a frosty one after the hunt.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Can't go on the 4th due to family commitments but will be at the cabin in NE Lower on the 5th and will stay most of the week reducing the local waterfowl population.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Central U.P. We have hunted the eastern end for years, but decided we needed change of scenery this year.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Why my plans are Martiny flooding project of course! But, after many years of surviving in that jungle our group has learned the trick. The secret is to sleep in and then get out as late as possible, leting the spotlights guide you to the best available location. If I'm set up more than fifteen minutes before shooting time, something messed up along the way. Of course as all Martiny veterans know, the banging will already be starting then so there won't be time for a cup of coffee.

Some people think every good spot is locked up in these not so secret honey holes long before shooting time. Not true. If you know where the overall decent areas are it's a simple matter to drop anchor down wind as close as your eyes can take the burn, but far enough away so steel can't put any holes in your Gore-Tex. Check this out and see if it isn't true. You will get almost as many opportunities the guys who staked out the highly coveted points, islands and holes the evening before. Hopefully, you have brushed up on your high overhead and long crossing shots because the birds won't exactly be decoying, but the opportunitess will present themselves. Also, bring a lot of shells.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts