Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in hearing from anyone with experience in this. I have heard that the solid/flat points are better for a complete pass through, but my experience with small game with my .22 Diawa is that hollow points are much better for quick, humane kills even without passthroughs. Thanks, JH

·
Registered
353 Posts
I believe there is a regulation in the deer manual stating that .22 caliber rounds are not legal for deer in a rimfire, seems like an air rifle would fall under the same rules.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the benjamin bulldog is a .357 cal.
Yes it is .357 and is legal in MI for deer hunting during gun season. I am trying to get input on whether to put more priority on achieving a complete pass through or maximum expansion/energy transfer & which ammo is best for each. The gun puts out about 200 fpe with the heavier ammo. Depending on the type (ballistic tip to hollow point), the result could be a pass through (supposed to be better blood trail) to higher shock (supposed to kill faster). I was hoping to get input from people who have used big bore airguns to take deer. Thanks again, JH

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have used the Nosler bullets that were made for the Bulldog on Foxes, Coyotes, and a few deer. Worked great. On the deer they we pass through and deer only went 40-50 yards. I thought they worked great

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used the Nosler bullets that were made for the Bulldog on Foxes, Coyotes, and a few deer. Worked great. On the deer they we pass through and deer only went 40-50 yards. I thought they worked great
Thanks Janehal, That is good to hear. Did you have a good blood trail even though they only went a short distance? Also, were the deer shot with a Bulldog or other gun with similar fpe? I know the Airforce Texan is in a whole other class like 500-800 fpe.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Behind the shoulder...................very good blood trail. I don't think I would try a shoulder shot.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@UpNorthAirGunner do you have any advice?
Behind the shoulder...................very good blood trail. I don't think I would try a shoulder shot.
Great! Exactly the info I need. Looks like I will be using the Nosler ballistic tip for most of my hunting, and only heart/lung target for deer. Looking forward to warmer weather so I can zero in & find my range limit with those slugs. Thanks again janehal, JH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts