Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just bought a TC Encore :D A family member then asked me a quesiton that I wasn't sure I knew the answer. He asked me what is the most versatile gun and the most versatile rifle? I thought for gun it would be 12 gauge/semiauto & for rifle I said either 30/6 or Encore:confused: What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
185 Posts

Here is my own 'most versatile' firearm. Savage 24F 'Predator', 22LR on top, 20 gauge on the bottom. 3-9X32 Scope mounted with see thru rings, which will come off at the first snow (rabbit hunting). 3" groups at fifty yards with brenneke slugs. (However, the .22 barrel makes this illegal for deer hunting).

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
I gotta vote for the 870 Express Magnum Combo.
Affordable, good for rabbits, duck, geese, turkeys and the smooth bore slug barrel will put 5 rds. right back in the box at 100 yds.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would have to say hands down it is the T/C Encore. You can do ANYTHING with this gun. You can go from a .45 or .50 cal Muzzleloader to a 12,20 guage fully rifled slug gun or anywhere from a .410 up to a 10 guage shotgun barrel with chocks. Now for the rifle end of it you can change it from a .17 cal rimfire or centerfire thru all the .22 rimfires all the way up too and beyond a .375 H&H for the big stuff and WELL over 100 different calibers in between in either a rifle OR a pistol. How can you beat that!!!!! Now I must admit you will have to spend anywhere between $200.00 and $350.00 for T/C factory barrels or anywhere between $300.00 and $1100.00 for some of the custom barrels out there like a barrel made by Virgin Valley Arms or Bullberry chambered in .338 Lapua w/ a fluted medium varmint and an on/off muzzlebrake. Or even a Christensin Arms Carbon barrel chambered in ANYTHING you want. But even at $200.00 for a factory barrel, you cant get a GOOD QUALITY gun new for $200.00. Note I stated good quality. The sky is the limit on these guns or you can keep it simple. But come on were guys we never keep it simple or cheap!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Most versatile gun goes to the classic pump shotgun in 12 gauge. It covers evertyhing from hunting to police/defense work to clay games. Its also more easily maintained than the semi-auto shotguns. Ammo is cheap and redily available. Remington 870, Mossberg 500/590, Winchester 1300, Ithaca 37, or Benelli Nova are all excelent choices.

Rifle would have to be the TC Encore for reasons that passthru posted.

Another option would have to be H&R handi-rifle with an optional barrels. A Handi Rifle can be had for about $200 in many centerfire calibers. For under $100 you can have them fit another barrel to your handi rifle in any centerfire or SG caliber they offer. Much cheaper than the TC.
Rupe

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
i am thinking the Rossi single shot or the new england single shot. You buy any rifle/shotgun barrle you want for cheap. And they are shooters.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The barrels are cheap also. You can get another barrel for about 175 or so.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Have both the Mossberg SSI1 and the encore!

Love them both! 22.250 heavy on the mossberg rocks!

You can buy any combination of barrels for the Encore from black powder to 375 H&H mag.

200.00 and you can get any barrel and forearm for the mossberg and shoot shotgun to 30-06.

I prefer the Mossberg over the Encore for any game in Michigan, as the price is a little better than the Encore for the different number of options you get.

I just paid 289 for the mossberg and the Encore goes for around 600.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just fantazing here, as if I could afford it, but how about a custom made European Drilling? Three barrels. For example, I'm looking at a photo of one by Johann Fanzoj, of Austria: A 20 gauge on the bottom, and on top, side by side, a .470/470NitroExpress and an 8x75RSmm. The ultimate safari gun.

Keep the engraving down to a reasonable level, and you could probably get one for about $15,000.

Champagne tastes and a beer budget...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Another vote for the 12 gauge. I would recommend the 870 combo for economy, but I use a Benelli Montefeltro and an Ithica Deerslayer II.

I also love .22 caliber rifles/pistols. They are cheap and fun.

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
For me the Remington 870 has far and away been my most versitle gun.

It's been used on clays,varmints,pats,woodcock,deer,turkey,rabbits,geese,ducks,.................

The .22 would be my second choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts