Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a panfish jig (more directed towards perch) that i need to find out the name of.

the best description i can come up with from my lack of memory is as follows:
it is shaped somewhat like an arrowhead, but with a slight cup to give it action when it is jigged. it has a bead on the hook shank, that i recall might even be a "glow-in-the-dark" bead for attraction in the deep dark world of cold water. it comes in many colors and a few different sizes. this is a long shot, but i think it has a name like the perch doctor, or that is the person that created it. the jig was featured at cabelas during the early part of ice fishing season last year......the gentleman had a table set up with all of these jigs on display for sale......i was 5 minutes too late.

any help will be very appreciated......i would like to order some of these jigs before the thought of ice gets here.......well, im thinking of ice, so at least before it gets here.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
someone else will know for sure....but i could swear they are called either rikks hooks ?? (or ricks spoon?).....or russian hook (or russian spoon)? I'm almost sure it is one of these, i'm trying to find something on the internet right now.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks a bunch guys.....next time up that way, i'll stop in and check them out.

do you know if the cotton rd./jefferson baitshop stocks ice fishing gear year-round?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Rick's hook, Jack's hook, Ken's hook, Russian hook's. There are all very simaliar to each other. The bead sometimes is killer for perch, sometimes it just gets in the way. They typically have a red or white bead. Silver or brass colored lure.

Give Franks in Linwood a call. They will ship them to you. If your not in the area. (989) 697-5341 or [email protected]

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I make my own. There very simple to do. I have about 200 completed. I dont use any particular paint patterns on mine, just whatever I feel like painting on them. Dots, stripes, patterns, etc.
When the fish are hitting they dont even care what color they are.
The best colors for the beads are chartruse, red, green and purple . I have experimented with blues and pinks they dont work very well.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hey Andy

how about a post on how to make them? Got any pics? I guess I should add another one to my list. Andy's hook's! LOL!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
That would put me out of buisness:D
Really you just get #2 willowleaf blades and some hooks. Cut the eyes off the hooks, you may need to cut off some of the shank of the hook to. Flux them both, hold with a pair of diagonal cutters, and solder them together with a blow torch. Wipe off flux residue, and paint! Heat hook till red hot and slide bead of your choice on. I like to put a little bend in my blades, it makes them flutter a bit more in the jigging action

·
Registered
13 Posts
bob was at cabelas last yr and sold out in mins.
his lures are called smakin' jack lures
no barb on em , hook is a straigt point
at 45 deg. angle to the triangle spoon
you usally have to adjust the bend in spoon
to tune in perfect flutter on the drop
tight lines only no barbs just a point
any slack n yur jumbo is gone spoon is the attractor but bead
color is crictal switch bead color till ya find out what
they want
wood pole 3' 6' handle of yur choice w/ 3/8' dowel
for rod loop spring bobber the one w/ chartruse bead
atach w/ shrink tube
cut notches in handle on ends to wrap 50' 6/8# mono
heavy line is best so when it stcks on the ice pull
n send smackin' jack back down the hole
you will have to learn how to windmill reel the oldfashioned
way PM if you want ph # n i will tell how to or you buy the brews
n i'll show ya
HP & FICIOUS lets jig em up
TIGHT LINES
TED

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks GOT FISH..........thats exactly it. do you know if there is a web-site for the smackin' jack? that would be alot easier to locate them, instead of waiting for them to arrive at cabelas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts