Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Process a few a year, and fall is usually my slow time of year for work. I was considering taking in 12-24 deer as supplemental income. I enjoy doing it, I have a clean shop, and I already have all the equipment to do it... So I figure I would like to offer it.

What I dont understand is, after alot of searching online, I cannot find any regulations whatsoever. Isnt there some rules and standards a shop would have to follow? I find it hard to believe anyone with a sharp knife can take in wild game. Is there any licensing?

JIM

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
There is not much out there but that you can not process any beef or other meat at the same location... I have been to a few near Metro Detroit and will never use them ever again... This was years ago I took a deer in and got the meat back and as I used it it was cover with deer hair, then a larger one in Warren was a shocking experience I doubt I got the deer I shot back. Not even sure they are still around. I use a guy near Big Rapids, he has a great set up and now offers the meat back in vaccum pack clear packages with labels on them. I have yet to have any issues with his biut as for regs I doubt there is any... I see signs when driving of Deer Processors on corners of some major highways though not as many as there was there are still some and probably do a good job just finding one. The only two I know of is the one on M53 just south of Imlay City and Kellys Near Big Rapids. Again there are others just not where I hunt... never used the one near Imlay City... Maybe just poor processing puts them out of business for some that don't have the tools to do the job right nor the place too...

Good Luck might be a decent thing if you have the right set up...

Some keep the hide and sell it to those that use the hides for gloves etc... a little extra $$$ Just what I have seen over the last 25 years.

Newaygo1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts