Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting turkeys for two years now in the spring, each year I get the over the counter tag. When I get in the woods the toms are with hens and I cant pull them away. Last year I did have one come in to my calls, but not close enough, I bought a bunch of how to dvds and lots of calls and practice before the season, so I'm pretty sure my calling is ok. My question is, would I be better off trying for a earlier hunt or just stick with the over the counter tag, and revise my calling. I relize that it wont be like the movies and have them running in, but it would be nice to put in all that time and have more than one some what close. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Matt,

My dad and I hunted the 234(OTC) hunt last year and both got a bird. I guess that it depends on the area you hunt and if you are hunting in an area that is pressured or not. We hunt in an area that is not pressured very much but out of four guys four birds were killed, 2 early during the first and second hunt and the other two killed in May during the 234(OTC) hunt. It may help to get and earlier hunt if you are hunting state land or a pressured area.

Good luck this spring. Hope your luck changes this year.

-Psebuckmaster-

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I agree with Psebuckmaster. The late hunt is not bad if you have privet property to hunt where the birds are not pressured.
I like the late hunt, because the hens are laying by then. The hens will leave the toms to go lay in the late moring/early afternoon. If you stay out later, you can call in a tom looking for a little on the side...;) .
The only problem I have with the early season is the weather can screw ya. The first and second seasons are shorter. You might get a week of bad weather making it difficult to fill your tag before your season ends. That's not always true, just a chance you have to take. The birds are not as pressured during the first hunt which is the plus.
There are a lot of tactics for calling in a "henned" up tom, like calling in the hens.
You may want to shoot Thunderhead a PM on this site. He's a great guy, I'm sure he would be willing to teach you a few secrets.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Hunt 234 is great. More time, better weather, hens nesting. It also allows some of us to go out of state to hunt Iowa and Missouri. Keep at it, if you have birds on your property they'll eventually come in. Make sure your camo is good and you limit any unneccessary movements.

Are people hunting your property in the earlier seasons? If so you may want to look for another piece to hunt to give you mulitiple options. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Matt Brummette said:
I relize that it wont be like the movies and have them running in, but it would be nice to put in all that time and have more than one some what close.
Sure it can !! And they will !!

Talking Turkey is a learning process that can only be learned by getting out there and doing it. Your doing everything right it sounds like, you just need more experience doing it. :)

Turkeys talk to each other all year long. Just like deer. Learning the language, what to say and how you say it is what makes all the difference in the world.
Watching the videos will be a big help too.

Just like deer, volume, intensity, and duraton is the key when calling birds. Calling the hen, or calling the Tom, it all depends on the situation. I've seen henned up Toms have hens actually throw themselves at their feet trying to stop that Tom from comming in to the " hen " calling to him. ;)
I've called the hens by royaling ticking'em off and have the Toms follow.

Givin, late season is a bit tougher, but, far from impossible. I worked 8 Toms the on a Sunday the last week-end of the late season last year. They were hot and we ended up killing a mature Tom at noon that came in.

I always hunt the first season. I like getting out into the woods early. Besides, I've been scouting for 3 weeks and can't take it anymore......lol :)
But, the late season can be just as productive.
There are tricks that can fool even the wariest Toms.
Jealousy calling ( Jake ) , walking and calling ( the deadliest trick in my book ), ambush hunting ( if all else fails ) Hen Lost nest calling, Lone Tom calling, Hen looking for a Tom, Fighting purrs, etc......these, and many many more techniques are deadly for any Tom within earshot.

I'll be giving a Turkey Seminar at Smokeys Archery here in Carson City again this spring. Come check it out.
I'm far from an expert, but know enough to be dangerous. :)

There's food, prizes and a whole day of talkin Turkey.
I'll ask for a sticky post sometime before the 1st of the year with the details.

It's a mind game. A fun one. :)

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Thunderhead said:
I'm far from an expert, but know enough to be dangerous. :):)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Boy what a humble man, TH you work more birds in a weekend than most see all year :lol: I have killed birds by using tricks you have posted on here. I'd say your pretty close to an expert if not one already. That is if there is ever anyone who can really be an expert when it comes to those frustrating feathered beings :lol:

That being said I like 234. more time is the main reason you get more than one weekend to getr done.

AW

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I would say it all depends on what part of the state you hunt , when you will be able to get into the woods and if you will be on private land. Both hunts have their ups and downs

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like I just need to stay after them, I hunt private property in a few diffrent locations, in Eaton and Barry counties, and one freind of mine and I are the only ones that turkey hunt. I just didn't know if the toms would be more active earlier or later. Thunderhead sounds like a man with a plan, that seminar sounds good. Last year I went to one with Rod Benson, I learned a lot and meet some nice people. Let me know the exact dates of that seminar and I'll see ya there. Thanks for all the information.:)

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I mentored under Rod for 3 years. The guy knows his stuff that's for sure.

I'm with A-Way Outdoors now. Greg Abbas is a helluva Turkey hunter too.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Matt Brummette said:
I relize that it wont be like the movies and have them running in
I shot my turkey and almost missed the opportunity to take my tom because I made the hens mad by mocking every sound they made. The hens made a full run towards me with the toms following close behind. They didn't stop running until they were at my blind and hens were surrounding my blind and one even tried to stick her head in. At that point, my tom was almost too close for me to shoot and all of it happened in a matter of seconds to reposition, get busted and take a shot all in the same breath. :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Matt,

Since you're hunting private land in Barry & Eaton counties--you may want to consider applying for the 301 ZZ hunt (see 2006 Spring Turkey Hunting Guide). It gives you the 1st two weeks of the season to hunt and I've had good success with that time period hunting Barry county.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts