Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has been killed in Michigan? I have seen Oldsquaws and Scoters any other sea ducks being seen or shot?

·
Registered
17,426 Posts
I would guess pretty much anything. Go back far enough in the records at the Muskegon Waste Water and they've taken a brant. Seen some Ross' taken there as well as snows, and had a guy at the Todd Farm in the next zone go into full freak out when he shot a goose at hours looking into the sunrise only to figure out it was a white front.

I've seen all three scoter on Lake Michigan while fishing. Harlequins, and even an eider or two.

Anyone ever see a Cinnamon teal or Eurasian widgeon over here?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Anyone ever see a Cinnamon teal or Eurasian widgeon over here?
Many moons ago I missed a full colored Drake Cinnamon Teal on the bay.
Came right at the pontoon with the sun at my back, he flared, stood up back peddling and I whiffed three times. I was just sick......never seen another since. My buds dog even growled at me......lol

·
Registered
364 Posts
There was a white winged scoter shot in a corn zone at Harsens during Hurricane Sandy. That's as goofy as it gets.

There was a Eurasian Widgeon in the East Marsh at Harsens two years ago in the spring. I never saw it, but several religious birders in the area claimed to have seen it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have seen a cinnamon teal shot off of Bayport on opening weekend a couple years ago. My dad's friend has pics of a Brant in our neighbors yard in Q-see he also shot it the next day.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Im waiting for a harly to decoy. Seen a couple. myself ive never shot a surf scoter. Ive seen eiders and pelicans on big lk.

·
Registered
417 Posts
There was a white winged scoter shot in a corn zone at Harsens during Hurricane Sandy. That's as goofy as it gets.

There was a Eurasian Widgeon in the East Marsh at Harsens two years ago in the spring. I never saw it, but several religious birders in the area claimed to have seen it.
Nope...a few years ago there was a Eurasian widgeon shot at Harsens...why that bugger flew all the way across the ocean I have no idea.

·
Registered
17,426 Posts
Shot a drake "call duck" mallard at Muskegon a while back. About 5/8 scale to a regular mallard, stubby bill like a Widgeon, white collar at neck about twice as wide as normal.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Nope...a few years ago there was a Eurasian widgeon shot at Harsens...why that bugger flew all the way across the ocean I have no idea.
More likely that he flew across the country. I have seen quite a few pics of guys that have shot them in California and Oregon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know of seen all the North American species of waterfowl to be seen and or harvested in Michigan minus the 2 tree ducks and mottled ducks.

A friend shot a king eider a few years ago in my old honey hole, and we used to watch the Harlis regularly up at LSSU on the St. Marys.

The state as a whole is a huge funnel for all types of waterfowl.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Shot 3 surf scoters this year and not out on the big water...they were pretty far inland. I was shocked to see them...had to let them get really close for a positive ID.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
A couple of years ago someone posted a picture of a single Brant that was hanging out on Belle Isle. It was during hunting season, and as I frequently hunt the Detroit River, I was really scoping out every flock of geese that I saw, hoping for the Brant to show up. Never did see him.
Dan

·
Registered
94 Posts
You guys seeing the harleys and eiders are they mature drakes or just hens and juvi drakes? I know you can shoot nice drake scotors and longtails on LM. Saw some great looking White Wings and Commons last year flying down rivers while steelhead fishing Last January and Feb guess they were using any available open water since most of LM was froze.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
There was a black bellied whistling duck taken a few years back. The guy who took it had a screen name of Skittergunner over on the MDHA site. As I recall, at the time, it was the first of the species taken in Michigan. Looks like the thread over there with the pictures is gone.... figures.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Come check out st Clair river in port huron, it looks like someone kicked a bees nest. Thousands of scoters and other waterfowl. Didn't bring my binoculars dang it! It's an awesome sight.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Got a white barn duck that was with a flock of Mallards many years ago in the UP I remember it well because it was the first year I could hunt. (1977).

I also shot a barnacle goose up by White Rock in the early 90s. It was after a week long northeast blow. Got it mounted on a big log in my den along with several birds. Had it for several years then one day when we were gone my English setter destroyed it along with several other birds on the log.
Needless to say daddy was rather angry...

·
Registered
231 Posts
We've shot scoters and old squaws on inland lakes too. Strangest thing for us has been a mottled duck and a black duck mallard hybrid. Friend shot a barrows in lower detroit river many many years ago.

·
Registered
878 Posts
No eiders, no harlequins, no snows, no specks and no cinnamon teal.

Have either shot the rest or been in a group that did.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts