Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lab lab plus food plot was planted 2 months ago after soil test from biologic Show ph of 6.0 so I put lime and fertilizer down 1 week before and filled it in Per there instructions Front test results Then planted the following week Checked it 2 weeks later only 1/2 the plot came up and was growing green and healthy waited another week still 1/2 of the plot was just bare dirt so I tilled up the bare area and replanted with sorghum winter peas rye oats and radish mix Came back week later the new stuff is growing great but now the lab lab is turning brown I have never had a issue with this plot before i have access to water from a natural spring a few hundred feet away so I just pump it out and water all the plots on the properity So I know it's not a lack of water issue since this is the only plot doing this the others where a Planted at the same time with the same seed Any ideas why it's turning brown

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
The way it is burning from the edges in reminds me of nutrient burn.

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
It's not a burn.
I don't see it on your grasses. It's looks like the tail end of a fungus wilt.
You should have it tested. If it is, do not plant anymore of it for a 2 to 3 years.

·
Premium Member
7,087 Posts
Would be my guess also...
Precisely, a guess.

There are so many factors that can cause leaves to brown out. If you didn't fertilize AFTER the plants were up then it is not fertilizer burn. Excessive water, a fungal disease or any number of factors could result in a similar browning of the leaves.

When I am called upon to identify a browning plant I first look at the plant itself. Start at the roots. Are they healthy? Then the stem and finally the leaves. The next thing (and actually the most important relating to "what do you do?") is to look at the newest or youngest tissue. If the new growth is green, healthy and viable then it was likely a blight or disease. Many times the plant will grow right out of a disease if the weather conditions change and the apical meristem (growing point) is not affected. Plants may be set back but as long as they are alive you are probably better off doing nothing.

Bottom line is that many things can cause issues and I can't tell you what problem may be there based on a single picture. I'd be hesitant to react unless I knew exactly what the problem was.

A groundskeeper friend of mine describes plant care like this: when they are thirsty, you water, when they are hungry, you feed them and when they are sick you give them medicine. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
It's not a burn.
I don't see it on your grasses. It's looks like the tail end of a fungus wilt.
You should have it tested. If it is, do not plant anymore of it for a 2 to 3 years.
This, it's a blight fungus from over watering or watering in the evening. Best to water in the mornings. Get the same thing in my garden when my only option is to water in the evenings as I work days. That's my guess!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info first off it not fertilizer burn since the plot has been growing fine for a little over 2 weeks and very little fertilizer and lime were needed per soil test from biologic I only watered it a few times on the weekend I went up the plot is 1/2 acre and was watered to About 1" Every time I did Water only on the weekend Now remember all the other plots on the property Have same seed but look healthy green I did receive 5" of rain on aug 2 from those nasty storms The plot does drain good And is tiled so it was not under water the sorghum and winter peas turnips and radish are all health just the lab lab is turning brown took soil Sample and sent in today will have to wait a few days for the result

1 - 10 of 10 Posts