Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gun to you use for small game hunting like rabbits, squirrels?
For shotguns do you like the shorter barrels for rabbits and longer for squirrels? It seems that the 12 Gauge with a 28 in barrel just makes a mess out of the rabbits. .22's are pretty fun less lead pellets to eat.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yea 12 gauge with 28" barrel is all I have ever used for rabbits, usually don't have dogs so gotta hit them quick and hard. Squirrels yea 12 gauge, 22lr, 22mag, 17hmr, just about anything for them.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I love my new savage 22 mag, it's quickly becoming my favorite gun to shoot. However, if you're going to use it for squirrel, make sure that you aim for the head, and DO NOT use the "TNT" ammo. I went out with it yesterday and after 3 hours, I still hadn't seen a squirrel. Finally, I spotted a fatty sitting in the crook of a tall oak with his back 3/4's facing me. I decided to take the shot and when I walked up to the kill, I noticed that only pieces had come down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use a scoped heavy barrel .17 hmr and a 20ga with a 26" barrel and mod. choke.... when there's a lot of leaves and cover like right now, your best bet is a shotgun.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I use a 22 for later in the season when there are on leaves and a 410 for the early season for squirrel. Rabit I carry a 410 or 12, with my 22 handgun on my side.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i use a 28" rem 870, a rossi single shoot 20 ga, i have used my bolt action 410, i even remember taking black squirrels with my crossman bb/pellet gun up in big rapids as a kid.... its not the gun its the shooter... now u have to think about the cover u are hunting... a rem 28" is heavy! if you are walking alot....lots of cover like right now a .22 is gonna be a lil harder because of the leaves but its doable.... yesterday i used to the 20 Ga and only missed once ( but that was on the squirrel of steel after i shot my buddy hit him with a 12ga knocked him out the tree he fell 30 feet ran back up a tree and got into a nest) if i am gonna sit and not walk much i will take the heavy long barrel gun...if you are going to walk alot i like a lighter gun like a o/u or a single shot, leaves are gone and can see take the scoped .22. Rabbits are a new topic.... i like to use a non scoped 22 or use a red dot scope because..its alot faster to get your sight aliment then through a 14mm scope. i have ran my rem 870 for them to just make sure if they are close u aim way off of u are not gonna get much meat... hope this helps

jay

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
For squirrel's I either use my Henry Golden Boy .22 or my old Steven's double barrel .410. For partridge / woodcock I have been using my son's 20 gauge 870 wingmaster youth (I love this gun).

·
Registered
95 Posts

When I was younger I used a .410

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
For squirrel's I either use my Henry Golden Boy .22 or my old Steven's double barrel .410. For partridge / woodcock I have been using my son's 20 gauge 870 wingmaster youth (I love this gun).
I love my Remington 870 Express Youth Combo. I got it when I was 11 and it has killed a lot of game over the last 15 years. It looks like hell, but that gun is phenomenal. I've killed 3 bucks between 75-140 yards with the rifled slug barrel, and I've killed plenty of small game with the "bird" barrell. If I ever decide to have kids, I will definitely pass this gun down as their first "real" gun.

Right now though, I still love the 22 mag. I haven't missed a squirrel with it yet. (1 for 1) :) I think it was all the practicing on Starlings this summer.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I enjoy handgun hunting with small game with a .22. It is just getting in the woods is a great time. What is the range of the .410's? That seems like a neat little gun for rabbits and squirrels.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My gun of choice for small game is my Ithaca 12 GA.O/U. I don't have that many squirrel's on my land, alot of Pat's and some rabbit's so my gun can cover just about any thing that come's up.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
My all around small game shotgun when I was younger and could walk all day was a 12 guage Ithaca pump with a 28 inch mod barrel. Now I use a single shot .410 for the lack of recoil and still have the ability to use 3 inch loads. Went 3 for 3 opening day and that just short distance hobbling around with a lot of resting. If I really want to lighten up I use a Savage .22 lever or my Ruger .22/.22mag revolver. I never get as much with them anymore but it can be fun anyway.

·
Registered
473 Posts
12 gauge Mossberg 500. On squirrels I use #5 shot and sometimes even 5's do not even exit. They are tough little critters. Rabbits and birds anything #6-8's work fine

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like my ruger 10/22 for squirrels and I have a winchester youth 20ga that i have used for grouse, woodcock, rabbits, turkey, and whitetails. My mom used it with a rifled barrel/scope and dropped a big doe in its tracks at 75yds. To me a 20ga can do it all pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
37,806 Posts
Savage model 24. .22LR on top, 3" 20ga on bottom.

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
The old faithfuls, In mich. its the winchester model 42, down south I go with a model 12
20ga, 16ga, and 12ga. For grouse its the model 50, 12ga., and 20ga.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I use a Ted Williams full choked, long barreled pump 410. I use 3" #6's. That gun has been around a while and has accounted for lots of game.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
For squirrels I like to use my single shot .410 with 26" full choke barrel. I prefer my 870 in 20 gauge for rabbits, but have used my old Wingmaster in 12 too, tears them up a bit tho. For a bit more of challenge, I will use anyopne of my .22's or .17's.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts