Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, heres the story. I've owned a remington 1100 12 gauge since I was 18 years old. Its very nice, as well as holding a special place in my heart. I have a smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sights on it. In the last few years, more and more of my hunting has been in the shotgun only areas, with some farmland hunting and potential for long range shots.
I'm considering either a rifled barrel w/cantilever scope or perhaps NEF ultra slug gun. Is the NEF really that much more accurate with the same slug? By the way, Ive seen the NEF for around $250, the mossberg 500 synthetic combo with cantilever AND the scope at dunhams for $279, but the cheapest I can find JUST the barrel for the 1100 is $269. I'm not really concerned with the cost, but geez
What do you think?

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Why not keep the 1100 for small game hunting and buy a Muzzle loader deer hunting. An in-line muzzy will get you out there 150 yrds easily and then you can hunt shotgun and muzzle season. Its legal to hunt in zone 3 during shotgun season with a muzzleloader.

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
With a little tweaking and quality optics, your 1100 w/cantilever will be about the best slug gun you're gonna get. I have and will put mine up against any NEF out there, and haven't lost a case of beer yet.

Never Mossjunk
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hunted opening day this year with my T/C encore. Great rifle, but kinda slow on follow ups.... And I havent bought a new gun in a while either:evilsmile CDAD

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
So will his 1100, but with 4 more shots
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, but at 150 yards with a sabot slug, I don't care which one, you are dangerously close to losing adequate KE for a clean killing shot. Not to mention the drop-off in accuracy with a sabot slug. A muzzie loaded with 100 gr. and a 250-300 gr. sabot bullet is far better long-range medicine. You don't need 4 more shots with one good one.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sorry, but at 150 yards with a sabot slug, I don't care which one, you are dangerously close to losing adequate KE for a clean killing shot. Not to mention the drop-off in accuracy with a sabot slug. A muzzie loaded with 100 gr. and a 250-300 gr. sabot bullet is far better long-range medicine. You don't need 4 more shots with one good one.

I will second that post!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Why not keep the 1100 for small game hunting and buy a Muzzle loader deer hunting. An in-line muzzy will get you out there 150 yrds easily and then you can hunt shotgun and muzzle season. Its legal to hunt in zone 3 during shotgun season with a muzzleloader.
+1 to the ML suggestion....and this is from a 12 ga USH owner!

If you're considering an USH then you're considering a single-shot... just like a ML.
And if you are considering long range shooting....you can't beat the accuracy of a ML.

If muzzleloading isn't for you and the decision is between an USH, or a Remmy / Mossberg with a cantilever barrel....get the USH! The reason the USH is so accurate is that the barrel is mated to the receiver unlike a removable cantilever barrel.

·
Banned
2,145 Posts

Yeah, what do I know...??...

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, actually, with the cantilever the scope IS mounted right on the barrel. That is why I wondered where the difference was in accuracy.
Unreel, what slugs have you tried, and what seemed best for you? ( By the way, nice boat in your avatar!)

·
Registered
286 Posts
with the cantilever the scope IS mounted right on the barrel. That is why I wondered where the difference was in accuracy.
....and each time you change the slug barrel and bird barrel it will need to be sighted in again!

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
Well, actually, with the cantilever the scope IS mounted right on the barrel. That is why I wondered where the difference was in accuracy.
Unreel, what slugs have you tried, and what seemed best for you? ( By the way, nice boat in your avatar!)

Thank you..

Winchester Partition Gold 385gr 2 3/4

Consistently shoot 2MOA @150yds (and have the prints to prove it)

Built on a Rem 1100
Wilson Combat action
Barrel pinned and Magna-Ported
Remington Super-Cell recoil pad
Leupold VXII 3-9X50

Kicks like a .410

For those who don't know what MOA is, the above is equal to 5 shots the size of a softball @150yds. My Browning BAR MarkII 30-06 can't do that.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think a setup like that would be sweet. My kid has a Mossberg bolt action that is ported and it really doesn't kick too bad and is quite accurate.

but, I'll second or third the inline muzzleloader. Mine doesn't seem to kick much more than a .22, it does though, and the accuracy is amazing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use a H&R ultra slug with nikon prostaff scope and I use winchester high volocity sabots. Its SUPER acurate! I have it sighted in at 100yrds and it shoots about a 4inch group. Its only a single shot but I would argue that the increase acuracy and distance you get with this gun and round combo well makes up for the lack of a follow up round...one and done.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well your 1100 can be made into a very accurate shotgun, the H&R's only reload as fast as you can pop a slug in and out. My jury is still out with my ultra slugger, didnt even take it to the range this year.

Your in that greay area, 6 of one half dozen of the other. I say get an H&R and the rifled slug barrel for the 1100! You can borrow my ultra any time you want to see if its something you would like. I saw 5 doe this morning behind the house, no shots though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1.5 inch groups @ 100yds, 3 inch groups @ 150yds with Hornady SST sabots. Love it...

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the offer, Jake. I love that old remington you know. However, I can buy a brand new ultra - the whole damned gun-
for less than the barrel costs. I'm torn... :dizzy:
I think if the accuracy were comparable between the two, I'd stick with my remington. If the difference is minimal, either gun probably WILL shoot better than I CAN shoot in a hunting situation. Either way, both setups seem to get good reviews.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Barrel pinned and Magna-Ported
Hey Unreel, you mention that the barrel is pinned. Do you have the cantilever scope? If so, why do you need to pin the barrel? It seems to me that the cantilever scope mount effectively makes the barrel,chamber and scope all one solid piece. I'm new at this and curious. Thanks CDAD

·
Banned
368 Posts
....and each time you change the slug barrel and bird barrel it will need to be sighted in again!

Is this true? If a scope is mounted, aligned and sighted-in directly on a cantilevered barrel, wouldn't it stay that way, regardless how may times the barrel is removed/replaced from the gun?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts