Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20+ years my FL8 finally pooped on me and I am in the market for a new sonar. I am only fishing bluegills and Walleye on the bay. Wondering what everyone is using and why they like what they have?????? Anything is open for consideration at this time.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
HaHa, Vex guys are gonna say Vex.. I use the Hummingbird Helix 5 G2. Replaced my old Lowrance. Just a great little unit with amazing features. Sonar graph, flasher, GPS. Most midrange units will have all similar features. Except the old spinner Vex's. Marcum has some great units, too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
After 20+ years my FL8 finally pooped on me and I am in the market for a new sonar. I am only fishing bluegills and Walleye on the bay. Wondering what everyone is using and why they like what they have?????? Anything is open for consideration at this time.

Thanks
I have a 20+ year old FL8 too and I love it. If mine died, I would buy another Vex, but there are plenty of good options.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I'm not sure I could justify spending that kind of money on a new unit of any kind.
I have an old one and I bring it out a couple times a year, esp on a new lake I'm scouting. But most of the time I end up walking away from it. I move quite often and it just get annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Deeper chirp 2. Gps, bathometrics, flasher, vertical, and graph. And it fits in my pocket. Raw is damn accurate. Bonus also, No accessories needed. I know they get alot of haterade from guys. You taking that vex to check small river holes in the spring? Nope.

Reactions: TK81

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use a Humminbird Hexil Ice 5. All the feature I need. It does interfere with my brother's Lowrance. The Humminbird works when he is using his, but his don't when I'm using mine. Deeper is also a nice cheap option.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Honest question, who owns vexilar? Because they won't be around much longer. Garmin and humminbird, you can get the "cheaper" models and they have way more utility with lake maps and being able to be put on your boat. Now with mega live and livescope, guys with a vex are out there using a bb gun and the other guys are out there with grenade launchers

Sent from my SM-G781V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
119 Posts
I won't be buying anything until my old school Marcum dies, if it ever dies. But, if I had to buy something today I would buy a unit with GPS features to help dissect new water. They're getting pretty cheap these days. I can't understand how flashers are still so expensive. They're ancient technology.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Honest question, who owns vexilar? Because they won't be around much longer. Garmin and humminbird, you can get the "cheaper" models and they have way more utility with lake maps and being able to be put on your boat. Now with mega live and livescope, guys with a vex are out there using a bb gun and the other guys are out there with grenade launchers

Sent from my SM-G781V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I'll stick with my vex fl18 until it is supposedly obsoleted. Thx

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I won't be buying anything until my old school Marcum dies, if it ever dies. But, if I had to buy something today I would buy a unit with GPS features to help dissect new water. They're getting pretty cheap these days. I can't understand how flashers are still so expensive. They're ancient technology.
Because they work?

I don’t have one (use my Helix 5 Ice), but understand staying with what works.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,460 Posts
Helix 10 MDI G2N on a Marcum Brute Lithium.
Navionics, LakeMaster for GPS mapping & HW Chirp. Haven't owned a flasher in closer to 25+ years, for many good reasons I won't go into.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
HB Helix 5 all season if it ever gets shipped. I wanted something i could map out water in the summer with while using my kayak.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Running a marcum LX-3 but I'll be buying a new lithium battery shortly as mine only lasted 3 hours on a full charge.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts