Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I ready to purchase my first E collar for our GSP and have narrowed it down to Tri Tronics Upland Special or Sport 65 BRP. I was wondering what collars you guys use. Also could I use either of these collars without the beeper for water retrives. I plan on training the GSP for warm weather duck hunting so I am kinda looking for a multi purpose upland/waterfowl E collar.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have the Upland Special 2 dog and think it is a great collar. Haven't a problem with mine at all. Yes you can run it without the beeper.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I was in the same boat as you not too far back. I went with the Upland Special and haven't regreted it yet. Nice collar.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the Upland Special worth spening the extra $150.00 as compared to the Sport 65 BPR at $349.00 ? Hopefully the Collar Clinic has a used Upland Special to save some money. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My recommendation is: Tri-Tronics in any model that they offer!

I have owned them all, and the Tri-Tronics is the only way to go!

Good Luck

Bob_____

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
There are always good collars for sale on the beagle forums.

Before you buy let me know what you want and I'll find one for you.

TT are the best in my opinion.

I recomend the one mile range collars.

The classic 70, or the beagler are both good collars.

Even for bird dogs the beagler would work fine.

You can often find them pretty cheap if you look around because guys are always upgrading to two or three dog units.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Originally posted by Chris391
Is the Upland Special worth spening the extra $150.00 as compared to the Sport 65 BPR at $349.00 ? Hopefully the Collar Clinic has a used Upland Special to save some money. Thanks for the input guys.
If you want to have any kind of range,yes. Remember the ranges stated for the collars is line of sight. If you get in the woods with trees and hills that gets cut down real quick. One with a 1/2 or 1/4 mile range will not be working possibly when you need it the most and fido is taking a run after a deer or whatever a few hundred yards away. If you only use it in open fields it may not matter as much as the tritronics are good products, just that the cheaper ones are shorter range and could be limiting your use.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I bought the Sport 65 BPR. I liked that the transmitter was a lot smaller. Plus I got what I thought was a good deal on it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just took delivery on my Tri Tronics Upland Special. I purchased this unit directly from Tri Tronics for $375 delivered. They have a trade in program that discounts the unit by 35%. I purchased a used, broken sportsman model for $20 and then traded it in and saved a ton of cash. You may want to have a look at this un-advertised program by giving them a call.

Ken

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I bought it from Lion country supply, $329.00 after the $20 discount. I have never had a problem with it working in the woods. I also like the compact remote and other options.
Either way you can't go wrong with these two choices.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Upland Special XLS is advertised at $499 in the latest Lion Country Supply catalog. Are you sure you bought the Upland Special?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the Sport 65. The collar is fine, their beepers are questionable. The beeper gave me problems almost immediately. They did replace the beeper without any questions but it's a PIA during mid season.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I ended up withthe 65. The beeper works fine on mine. I really like the collar. I can't say enough good things about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts