Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
im usually too busy catching fish to have time to keep them on brrrrrr !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I fish as long as I can without gloves, but for a quick warm up, nothing beats mittens. I have the ice armor mittens. If you really want to warm them up fast, keep a handwarmer in each one. Or a hand warmer in each coat pocket, and just alternate jigging hands when one gets cold.

Mike

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wear mitts when getting on the lake and drilling holes
no mitts for fishing as long as possible then just a quick warm up
i use wool lined deer skin mitts,(hint:get a size a little bigger so your wet hands can make it in)

·
Banned
265 Posts
I am with the rest of the guys, I only wear gloves for carrying out my gear, drilling holes, and maybe for a quick warm-up. Gloves make it tough to feel bites so they are discarded as soon as I start fishing.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I've never worn gloves while fishing, but for getting out to the fish I do. As i'm starting to age, I noticed last year that the fingers were getting cold, so I will probably start wearing gloves this winter.I bought a pair of ICE ARMOUR waterproof gloves so I will try them. I also keep hand warmers in my jacket pockets.(keeps the belly warm}

·
Registered
331 Posts
I wear gloves on the way out and to get everything ready and put up the shanty and drill holes ect. BUT once I start fishing its hands only!! BUT I have a pouch around my waste that I got from meijers for dirt cheap that I put handwarmers in and I put my hands in the pouch whenever I can to take care of my hands while catching tons of fish.:lol:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I wear mitts when getting on the lake and drilling holes
no mitts for fishing as long as possible then just a quick warm up
i use wool lined deer skin mitts,(hint:get a size a little bigger so your wet hands can make it in)
:yeahthat: EZ on, EZ off is key. Also started keeping a towel handy to dry the hands. Since adding the towel I haven't had to use handwarmers.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just picked up the Ice Armor Extreme gloves. They have a zippered pocket on the back of the hand for a heat pack. I'm looking forward to using them.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yep just when carrying. It's got to be awful cold before gloves are worn here.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
i'm with ryguy. wool half finger golves, they never come off. also have a large pair of mittens that i can easely put on & slap off with the half glove on. when it's real cold & winding i usually will wear 1 mitten on may rod hand & the other in the zipped down pant leg of my carharts.
if my hand get cold ,i'll stick it inside on my shoulder, no hand warmer

·
Registered
562 Posts
I use a hand warmer pouch like the quarterbacks in football wear around their waste. Put inside one or two $1 hand warmers and you are set to go for 6 hours.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I saw gander mountain in portage had some half finger gloves with a flap that would flip over your finger tips for extra warmth. that's about the only thing a saw there worth a crap. they don't have an ice rod there that i would own. all short ones with reels. all 7 & 8" augers too. i'll bet 98 persent of their customers are fishing for panfish, & 65 % without a shanty. so why not cater to a few of us. i think they're glueless
that's not just my opinion,heard other guys grumbling too.:confused:

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have a pair of big rubber mittens with a fleece lining my wife got me one year for christmas i wear them on the way out and back in. when im fishing i put some hand warmers in my pockets and alternate hands.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I use warm weather work gloves, Like ironclad, I get the cheepies and cut just the thumb, index and middle finger off each glove. That way I can pretty much use my hads for everything with glove on. If really cold finger tips happen I stick the whole deal in some mittens.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts