Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, I need some advice. I am in the market for a new bow, but it has been so long since I have even looked. I do not want to spend a ton of money and thats where this question come in. A friend has a bow he will sell me for $400. Here are the specs:

PSE Firestorm Lite 2005
70 #, 26-30 draw
Trophy ridge adjustable sight
Drop away rest (unsure what kind)
Stabalizer
Quiver
Peep, ect.

Obviously I would not buy it if I can't shoot it or something doesn't feel right, but I have never owned a PSE and was wondering what you guys thought of the Bow and the Price? It sounds good to me but please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Zilla

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
I concur. You can do a lot better at that price.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I don't think I'd pay more than 300 to be honest. If i had 400 looking for a bow, I think I'd be looking for a Hoyt or Matthews.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The best advice someone gave me is to shoot alot of different bows in all price ranges. When I was looking for a bow I went to 3 different pro shops and DNR sports and Gander mt. to shoot as many as 30 different bows. Shoot close to the target with your eyes closed and listen to the bow and concentrate on how it feels in yyour hands when you draw back and release.

There are alot of good bows that you can buy new in that price range.

The PSE's to me when I shot felt heavy and clunky. The 2 bows I settled on were a Darton and a Hoyt mT sport. I ended up getting the the Hoyt set up and out the door for around 400.00. To me at the time I liked the Hoyt better than any other bow I shot even the top end bows I shot. It just felt the best to me and with my draw length it has a 8 3/4" brace hieght so its very forgiving.

You could also get a used Hoyt or Mathews bow for around that price or less.

·
Banned
439 Posts
I Agree also. The FireStorm Lite is one of there medium line of bows. You can almost get a new one for $400.00. A new Fire Storm NRG Is $449.00. Complete package for $499.00. I'd talk him down in the $300.00 dollar range.
Bows dont hold there value very well.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I picked up a one yr old Hoyt fully rigged for 450. LOL, I changed the rest, sight, string and silencer so it's no longer 450, but I didn't HAVE to do that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys thanks to all that replied. I contacted my buddy whom is selling the bow and told him what you guys thought. This bow is an NRG which I did not include in my previous post. It has the top of the line Trophy ridge adjustable sight ($125). Trophy ridge drop away rest. ($75) with light($15).and some more odds and ends. Broad heads, quiver, stabilizer on and on. It was brand new in October of 05 and he only used it a few times. He says brand new the bow and accessories would be around $750. Do you guys think I could find a Mathews decked out for $4oo??
Thnaks again fellas
Zilla

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Check out the classifieds on this site. Theres an Alpine bow fully rigged, may give you a good comparison.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
i got a mathews listed on ebay right now(item # 7217514821) bidding is only up to 125.00 so yes you should be able to find a decked out mathews for less than 400.00 here is the ad: MATHEWS CONQUEST LITE SOLO CAM COMPOUND BOW 29 TO 30 INCH DRAW LENGTH, 50 TO 60 POUND DRAW WEIGHT.RIGHT HAND, THIS BOW COMES COMPLETE WITH EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SHOOT.IT COMES WITH A GOLDEN KEY PLATINUM 3D ROVER REST THAT IS CONVERTIBLE TO DROP AWAY,IT HAS A BRAND NEW IN PACKAGE GOLDEN KEY T.K.O. DROP AWAY WITH 3 DIFFERENT REST SETUPS.X-RING SILICA FILLED STABILIZER, LIMB SAVER VIBRATION DAMPNERS,ADJUSTABLE TOXINICS STYLE SIGHTS WITH 4 PINS AND PIN GUARD COMES WITH A LIGHT BUT NO BATTERIES. IT ALSO HAS A MATCHING 6 ARROW KWIKEE QUIVER AND MOUNT, 5 BEMAN ICS CAMO HUNTER 400 FLETCHED WITH 4 INCH NAP QUICK SPIN VANES WITH 100 GRAIN FIELD POINTS AND FITTED WITH EASTON NOCKS, PEEP SIGHT,KISSER BUTTON, STRING SILENCERS, SPARE STRING AND CABLE INCLUDED. THIS BOW HAD BRAND NEW LIMBS INSTALLED IN THE SPRING OF 05 I AM THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF THIS BOW,IT IS IN NEW SHAPE AND HAS BEEN WELL MAINTAINED. I HAVE ALL THE PAPER WORK AND MANUAL FOR THIS BOW. I CAN ADJUST THE DRAW LENGTH TO YOUR CHOICE.I DO NOT CHARGE FOR HANDLING,SHIPPING WILL BE ACTUAL WITH INSURANCE.PICK UP IS AVAILABLE. IF THE PHOTO'S ARE FUZZY,RIGHT CLICK ON THE PHOTO AND THEN CLICK DISPLAY IMAGE WITH FULL QUALITY.ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts