Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I found this the other day while cleaning a few birds. It almost looks like some sort of larva to me. This happened to be a drake mallard. Curious if anybody can shine some light on what it may be. Take a look and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
571 Posts
parasites, used to see alot down south...... They wont hurt you, just cut/pick em out if you dont like the sight... Bear Grylls would make a full meal of them...

·
Registered
536 Posts
A professor at my college that deals with birds and waterfowl said they are a little parasite. they are not harmful in anyway just as long as u cook the meat thourghly. he also said he has eaten ducks with them and he said he hasn't gotten sick yet. :)

Hope this helps,
Iceman_101

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How common is this here in michigan? I've taken a fair amount of birds and have never seen it. Are certain species more susceptible than others?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I actually had the same thing in one of my hen mallards I shot the other day We ate it Monday night and havent gotten sick so you should be good to go.

·
Registered
611 Posts
How common is this here in michigan? I've taken a fair amount of birds and have never seen it. Are certain species more susceptible than others?
I don't see it as much here as I did when I hunted TN and Arkansas a lot. Usually just a couple a year here, when I used to get 20-25 a year down there. I hunted with an older guy in TN that told me, "I never shoot pintails, they all got that rice breast $&#^!" Personally I have never noticed a specific breed with it more than another, other than the fact that I shoot more mallards than anything, so I get more mallards with rice breast than any others.

Iceman-

I have heard it is edible if you cook it well done, but I like my duck medium rare and I don't think I would eat it anyhow. Just my preference.

DC

·
Registered
904 Posts
I found it in a Black Duck I shot several years ago. I never seen it before. I did'nt eat it.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
iv seen it only in mallards and usualy hit a few birds a year w/ it in it... dont eat it... not worth it. a parasite to me is a parasite, and im not taking that chance. it sucks to waste the bird but in the end, there really was nothing you could do to know it had it when it was on the wing. good luck out there.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The first year I went to ND we harvested a few Shovelers with rice breast. That was it, no more shootin LIPS for me..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts