Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I was just wondering what you use for a seat in your shanty. Obviously most flip overs have buit ins. But what about the rest of you guys/gals? I use the typical fold up lounge chair that slides into the carrier sleeve when collapsed. Thinking there may be a more practical/comfortable option.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
A 6-gallon bucket with a foam minnow bucket inside. I'm usually wearing enough layers that I don't need a cushion :D

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
A 6-gallon bucket with a foam minnow bucket inside. I'm usually wearing enough layers that I don't need a cushion :D

I did that for years, got a flip over last year with a built in seat with a back rest and was like 'So this is how the other half lives!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZ':D

·
Registered
817 Posts
I got a shappell square fish tote, They do not make them anymore, the thing is plastic and square. sits up like a 7 gallon bucket so your knees are not in your chest. 1/3 of the top is open for gear and the other 2/3rds has a flip top on it that is foam padded. i bet I bought this thing 10 years ago and the foam is still like new.
I actually live in the town that shappell is headquartered in and stopped by to see if by chance they had any left over , or even if it is still made . No Dice , If I could find 1-2-3 more I would snap them up in a heartbeat.

I am a die hard sit on the ice without a shanty guy and i have found nothing made like this, Because it is square it holds a ton more than the old 5 gallon round bucket.

Lumpy

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I did that for years, got a flip over last year with a built in seat with a back rest and was like 'So this is how the other half lives!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZ':D
A back rest would be nice but I'm usually too busy lookin' at the fishies below my hole to lean back:D

·
Registered
646 Posts
a bucket, I have enough padding without winter clothes that i dont need a cushin.:lol:

·
Premium Member
30,302 Posts
A big bucket, probobly a 15 gallon if I measured it, or I have a small box that has a tarp for wind break that I use on river. It holds rods,heater,tackle, etc. I put the box in the jet sled,along with hand auger and bungee the shanty on top so everything pulls nice. Then just put the box in the shanty once its set up, and all my gear is right under me where I need it.:D I just leave the river windbreak off inside.:dizzy:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a frabil pullover not equipped with a seat. I use a tall 6 gallon pail with a boughten padded seat that fits over the top and has rollers on it. Seems to work fine. I usually take two pails onto the ice. One with the padded cover I use to store GPS and other stuff I don't want in the elements and the other pail to carry poles and fish if fortunate to get into them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We use those small camp fire seats that you can get at walmart. They come in a sack. I like lookin at the fish too, but I do get lazy and kick back so the back rest helps time to time. Till the boy whacks me:yikes:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I bring to every all-day or half day outing a tall padded frabil bucket and one of those back rest foldup hunting chairs with a zippered pouch under the seat. The bucket is great when the bit is on but after a few hours need a back rest.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Early in my life of course it was the standard 5 gallon bucket, went to 6 gallon, then small folding hunting chair w/backrest. Now I use a coleman folding campchair with a back, a little bulky but oh so comfortable.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Early in my life of course it was the standard 5 gallon bucket, went to 6 gallon, then small folding hunting chair w/backrest. Now I use a coleman folding campchair with a back, a little bulky but oh so comfortable.

you da man nice cozy setup get little heat off the motor too...

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The problem is it is too cozy! Hate to move once you are set up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts