Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided it was time to see if all the training with Snickers was paying off. I headed off to Nova Oh for a AKC hunt test. The weather to say the least on Saturday sucked rain, heat, and misery. We had pulled the second to the last brace of the day. Wen ran against a English setter. The setter seemed to like to follow me thought the first field.Snickers handled directions extremely well always doing what was asked of her. By the time we got into the field the humidity was at least 80% and at least 78* not good conditions for finding birds and defiantly not good for the dogs. The setter still liked to follow me so I tried to work Snickers away from it she was covering the field very throughly when the unexpected happened she bumped a bird and then a second. I had a sinking feeling then she had a solid point and I was able to flush the bird. She ended up with 4 7's and a pass.

The next day the weather was much cooler and less humid. We ended up with the last brace of the day. Our brace mate was a very big Gorden Setter. At the break away the setter wanted to play Snickers just kept covering ground. As we made our way to the bird field she locked up on point in a small clump of trees I went in flushed the bird she gave chase. She had 2 more finds and flushes. The judge told me to "head her to the bird field and enter the field and pick her up I have seen enough". It was music to my ears she passed with 4 9's and the second high score of the day for the Jr hunters. So she is half way to her JH title.:D

Joel's Jaeger had an equally impressive 2 days there but I will leave the Bragg to him ..

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I ran Piqua in a trial on Sunday. She placed 3rd in the Open Puppy class. That was it for the weekend. Didn't train or do anything else with the dogs.

Congrats on the JH passes Lowavenger and Nemisportsman.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I played fetch with my dogs in the backyard, and hung out with them on the couch, all weekend.

(congrats on the prizes, fellas)...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
midwestfisherman said:
Nice job Andy and Congrats! :) You'l have that MH before you know it. How's Hein doing?

Jim,

I am going to finish Snickers JH title in Ionia and start Hein on his. He is doing great .

Andy

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Grilled some grouse, ate some ice cream, took a nap, pretty much status quo around these parts.

Congrats fellas.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrats to all who earned qualifying scores over the weekend!!!

My wife and I also had a great hunt test weekend! On Sunday we went to a HRC event and titled two of our dogs. One of our girls earned her HR title (similar to AKC Senior Hunter) and the another girl of ours earned her SHR title (similar to AKC Junior Hunter).

That makes three titles before June for us!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Congrats on the tests/trials. . .

We put in all of our RR corn, got some other areas prepped with the new tractor and tiller (that rototiller is great), checked out our new polebarn/cabin that should be all ready in the fall or close to it. I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out this year in both hunting and our plots and cabin.

The dog just hung out at the cabin and had some leftover hotdogs.

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
Steve B. said:
Congrats to all who earned qualifying scores over the weekend!!!

My wife and I also had a great hunt test weekend! On Sunday we went to a HRC event and titled two of our dogs. One of our girls earned her HR title (similar to AKC Senior Hunter) and the another girl of ours earned her SHR title (similar to AKC Junior Hunter).

That makes three titles before June for us!
Steve, Congrats on the titles! How about some pics of the dogs?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I finally took Finn out to the water for some additional introducing.........within 30 minutes he was making consistant 30 to 40 yard retrieves........It took a little while to figure out how to use the back legs and not attempt to walk them accross the bottom as well as the front leg splash.....but in the end...I think he has it down! Will be taking him out the next couple of days to keep building confidents and to get him swimming further out.....didn't have a camera this time, but will when we go out again!

Congrats guys on your passes! It is a GOOD feeling and a sense of accomplishment for all the hardwork!

Dave

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
We are in the process of teaching the pup to stay of the kitchen table, stop diving in to the pail of dog food, and house breaking. The other four dogs are teaching him what they will and will not put up with from a full throttled pup! Congratulation to all that had placements this weekend.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
we got to work on our compition couch napping. think we're ready for the nationals...

·
Registered
531 Posts
john warren said:
we got to work on our compition couch napping. think we're ready for the nationals...
You'll have to get by me and my dogs at regionals first, John...

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
FieldWalker said:
I trimmed Kayla's nails..
Rez trimmed his own nails while it rained for 2 days. Then we watched Band of Brothers twice (He loves war movies). Oh, I did show him pictures of grouse, phez, and woodcock...so he's all set for the fall now.

·
Registered
833 Posts
here I was all excited because Chase caught her first frisbee Sat night. I was hooting and hollering. Just wait till she gets her first bird...:lol:

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Worm Dunker said:
We are in the process of teaching the pup to stay of the kitchen table, stop diving in to the pail of dog food, and house breaking. The other four dogs are teaching him what they will and will not put up with from a full throttled pup! Congratulation to all that had placements this weekend.
Worm Dunker -

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a pup that dives for the food. My pup is 14 weeks now, and good lord I've never seen a dog that goes at the food like this one does. I actually have nicknamed him "piranha" because of his method of attacking the food bowl :lol: I figure having been one of 11 pups in the litter may have something to do with his attitude...we figure he had to fight for a nipple from the day he was born :dizzy:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts