Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Day,

Thanks for the compliment TT! This one is going to be fun! And no it is not going to be a trout... but that has me thinking....

I give some of you a clue... This fly is going to be entered into the World Tuscany Open fly tying competition. This is a unique competition as it focuses on realistic or art flies.

Steelie

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
steelie said:
Good Day,

This one is going to be fun! And no it is not going to be a trout...
Well Im glad I didnt say trout then....but it was my first thought, until I noticed the scale pattern.....looked a little big for a trout.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I gotta tell you guys. I have read your threads and admired your pics. I do not know how you guys do it. I have tried and tried, but to no avail. Most of the patterns I have tried look like a bug that has come off a bumper or windshield. Lol, keep up the good work and maybe one of these days will have something to show that would not be embarrassing!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Show off.... I'll take 2 dozen, and I need them by this weekend!!!! :lol:
That is certainly an impressive tie. Nice work.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It looks like a sardine!:lol: I'll take a dozen with some hot sauce,please:) !

Hey steelie,are you using trimmed feathers for the fins? Nice looking tie so far. I hope to someday be one third as creative and talented as you.

Good luck in Tuscany!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good Day,

Axis gear is correct! On two counts! The fins are light grey shclappen fibbers and clear tape. It is a Sardina Pilchardus:

Steelie

·
Registered
306 Posts
Love those gills, Steelie. Looks like a great project you got going.

Good luck in the contest!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good Day,

Hehehe....

Actually the gills are pipe cleaner cut to shape, bent, and tied in. Hehe... I might just have to do this for fishables... hehe.

I think I have decided to not use foam for the head. Too much bulk and I could not find any white razor foam. But I think I have something better. I am planning to use .25 mm clear vinyl laminated with foil. There are a few portions of the head that are not "silver" but instead are translucent, hence the vinyl.

Steelie

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
attention all fly tiers....

I believe Ive found steelies insperation....

look in the last picture he posted.....it's the everlasting goobstoppers I tell ya!

that sardine is huge!!!

and looks like a winner already....nice job steelie!

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Hmm, that would probably be a pretty good pattern for the surf. Looks a lot like an alewife. You wouldn't have to worry too much about it snagging up out there either.

Although, I would imagine a big king might tear it to shreds. It would be fun nonetheless.

·
Registered
287 Posts
its frankenfish!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts