Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are fisherman for the most part but do enjoy getting out in the woods on occasion and definitely love a venison dinner. I had promised to take my 11 year old son out hunting during the muzzle loader season but due to a bad case of pneumonia and an abscess in my lung, I wasn’t able to fulfill that promise. With the last weekend of the season approaching, Paul and I received an invite to join Neal for a hunt. I have been feeling a bit better so this was our chance. To anyone that doesn’t know Neal, words can’t describe what this man will do to help out a fellow sportsman. He has been very busy with work, family and his other endeavors and hasn’t had much time this year to pursue his passion for hunting. With everything he has going, he put it all on the back burner to take us out. Anyway, Neal took us to a spot where he hoped we would get an opportunity to see some deer. It wasn’t even 30 minutes or so when Jr spotted a deer in some heavier brush. It had horns but wasn’t very big. With all the sticks and twigs, there was not a shot. After 15 minutes or so, he finally made his move and crossed a small clearing. The shot was squeezed off and the 6 point dropped in his tracks. Although Neal works very hard to manage his property, he told us that it was OK to shoot a buck if the opportunity presented itself. Seeing that there was not much season left, we took him up on his generous offer. There was still a good hour and a half before dark and we had a doe tag so we settled back into the blind. The time ticked away and the light was fading. We were just about to call it a night when I spotted a deer coming in. A closer look revealed a total of 4 deer. With the binoculars and a white background, I was able to verify it was a doe and the shot was made and the deer dropped! Holy cow, one evening hunt and we had 2 deer for the freezer! Big grins and high fives were quite common in the next few minutes! Paul and I both agreed that this day was at the very top of our list of the best of the best and Neal made it all possible (again)! You da man!

Here is a pic of 2 very happy hunters (btw, the hunters orange was removed for the pics ;):

Here is a pic of my son Paul with the 6 point. The antlers actually came off while we dragged him out so Jr is holding them in place. :lol:

And lastly, here is Paul with our most generous guide that made this a day we will never forget. Thanks buddy! You’re welcome to come fishing on our boat anytime!

·
Premium Member
8,594 Posts
WOW!! Congrats to all! Great times and a couple of Great deer!
Neal...you sure made that kids day!! Thanks for being a super sportsman, ( and generous too!!:))
Gone Fishing ....Glad too hear youre feeling better and could make it out to enjoy this day with your son.
Venison for the winter....Thats GOTTA make ya feel better!!;)

Congrats again...

-Bob:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
its the feel good stories like this about hunters that never seem to surface in the media, but i for 1 am glad there are people like neal involved in our sport, congrats on the 2 deer it looks like your son had a great hunt and hopefully he will have many more

·
Registered
35,573 Posts
Congratulation. Great story and pics too. Thanks to all who shared in this experience.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Congrats! A big thumbs up to your host too.:)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Kudos to all and especially to Neal who reminds us by his generosity and concern for others that the true spirit of the season lives on.

·
Super Moderator
37,657 Posts
Congrats to all of you.:)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Congrats guys!!

The only thing left is for oyu to become a bucket butt!!! I can see Jr getting you to develop Ring around the butt real soon!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Way to go guy's, outstanding :) Neal you the man, John glad to hear your feeling better, hope all's well, and a Merry Christmas to you and the family.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Great job Paul Jr !!

Really cool Neal to let a young kid get his chance :cool: Hope Santa treats you well for that one :)

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
John-Glad you were feeling well enough to get out and hunt.

After watching Dad these last couple years, I hope Jr. doesn't think it is always this easy.

Congrats to all involved!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
That's a great story and the photos are excellent. This defines what friendships are.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts