Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
17,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without clearing some woods, is there anything you can plant in a wooded area that will grow and feed deer? <----<<<

[This message has been edited by Joe Archer (edited 07-07-2000).]

·
Registered
301 Posts
I planted some of the no till whitetail clover last year it will not grow more than one year(mine did ) I do not work for or have any connection with Whitetail lab but the product they have is the best i have tried so far. You need a rake (garden) rough the soil up and work the seed in. It is best if the there are weeds to mow the area first. I planted in a area that was coverd in leaves and it grew greaaat to good the deer over browsed it and killed it. But i just needed to plant a bigger plot. I do not know if other no till products work Imperial was the only one i tried.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Joe Archer,
When I was fishing just the other day , I walked over to where I der hunt. The area is really dark with shade. The plants in the bottom land were heavily browesed. I think they were" Spotted touch me not" a type of "Jewelweed." These plants love rich moist soil and will tolorate some dryness as long as it is shady. Deer love this stuff.
Get a copy of The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers. Check out page 413.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Steve in MI- How big of an area did you plant and did you have to lime it? I have several areas that I plan on planting either this fall or winter planting and I can't get to them w/ lime very easily and that seems to be what everyone says you need to do for success. So I'm curious before I spend the money if you had to use it or not. Is the area you planted under tree cover or open to sunlight? Last question are you saying it will or will not grow more than one year?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Whoops I meant to say that whitetail will tell you that it is only suppose to grow for one year the plot that i planted has grown for 3 it is a little bit spares this year though. I planted mine in a area that is mostly shade. I planted clover and it worked great. I prepped the ground by raking it up and sprinkling the seed down and covering it up with the rake. Clover has to be only coverd a small amount less that a 1/8 inch, if you burie it to deep it will not grow . Clover does not have enough engery to push through the soil, if buried too deep. I did not soil test that area. What i can tell you is that a way to see what type of soil is there is to look at the typ of foilage that is growing in the area.
Thorn bushes and verns , oak tree's, and pines as well. So if you have black berries growing in among verns you most "likely" have poor ph in the soil. That is not a given i have a plot that has all of them features anfd the soil has a ph of 7.6 great soil for clover.
If you can walk in to a area you can lime it they sell it in bags as well you can take a hand help spreader, or just wear gloves and spread it by hand. If you are in doubt put a 50 lbs of lime on a small plot (less than 20 yrds by 2o yrds) that should help but if you are serious about the plot have it soil tested. I hope i have answered all of the questions. If took me a few years of guessing and trying differant things until i got the hang of it. The whitetail program is by far the best, I called to get seed the salesman i spoke to told me" if i was not going to soil test the sample that he would not sell me the seed" because if it did not grow he did not want me telling others that the product was no good. I was floored that they cared that much if you follow the program it will grow and the deer will come.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
That's interesting about the fern and blackberries. I'll have to test the spots I've been spraying w/ Round-Up and see where the PH is. But, carrying 50# bags of lime a 1/4 mile doesn't sound too appealing. That's one of the reasons I stopped baiting, I'm getting too old for that stuff. Thanks for the info I know what you mean about experimenting. I had an old timer tell me how to plant clover in my orchard, a $100.00 later only about 10% came up. I think he just wanted to sell the seed. That's why I like this board there is lots of free advice from a variety of sources.

[This message has been edited by The Nailer (edited 07-10-2000).]

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
FWIW I planted some white dutch clover in a area with no lime and no fertilizer. My soil is real bad mostly a sandy loam. Check it today and its coming up super considering we haven't had much rain to germinate it. If you want to plant an area be sure to kill any weeds first. I use spectricide instead of roundup cause it works much faster. Also white dutch is pretty shade tolerant. All I did was to work up the soil a bit with a garden rake put in my seed then use the back of the rake to cover up the seed. Another thing I did this year was after the wood cutters left the skidder and the semi really tore up my roads. I seeded them with a perinnal rye grass seed and it's coming up good again with no lime or fertilizer. I seen two deer this afternoon nibbling on the young grass already..........marty

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Hey nailer ask feedbag about the new lime coming out. It will make life easier. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts