Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

What bluegill are hitting on?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  shrubmasters@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Been out there seeing some slab bluegill in the water just can't get them to bite any suggestions?

#13 ·
I was in a marina in 4.5 fow Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning in a shanty where I could see the fish. I've caught my share of gills, sunfish, and crappie on small teardrops and spikes. I normally don't use a shanty in a marina, I just watch my line. I was amazed how many big gills, seeds, crappie, and bass were underneath me, and NOTHING was biting. Same for everybody in there. I've always assumed when I wasn't getting any bites, that the fish weren't there. When someone tells me the fish are there, they just aren't biting, now I have a visual of what that means. I ended up picking up one nice seed, and one nice crappie at the end of the day. Couldn't believe that with all those fish, NONE of them wanted to bite on jigs and bait that normally always catch fish. Do you think it was the pressure (as in barometric), the pressure (as in fishermen), or something else. It was still cool to see so many fish, I just wish it was on a day they were biting. Other people told me there were a lot of fish taken out of that canal this year. Maybe these fish that are left are all just educated now.

#15 ·
I was in a marina in 4.5 fow Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning in a shanty where I could see the fish. I've caught my share of gills, sunfish, and crappie on small teardrops and spikes. I normally don't use a shanty in a marina, I just watch my line. I was amazed how many big gills, seeds, crappie, and bass were underneath me, and NOTHING was biting. Same for everybody in there. I've always assumed when I wasn't getting any bites, that the fish weren't there. When someone tells me the fish are there, they just aren't biting, now I have a visual of what that means. I ended up picking up one nice seed, and one nice crappie at the end of the day. Couldn't believe that with all those fish, NONE of them wanted to bite on jigs and bait that normally always catch fish. Do you think it was the pressure (as in barometric), the pressure (as in fishermen), or something else. It was still cool to see so many fish, I just wish it was on a day they were biting. Other people told me there were a lot of fish taken out of that canal this year. Maybe these fish that are left are all just educated now.
Hmmm I think I have a pretty good idea of where you were fishing because it was the exact same thing for me and some guys Friday and Saturday. Once he flipped the shanty over he could see schools of keepers roll through but all they did was stare then swim off.

I like the SDI bull killer jigs and am also a fan of their 3mm? epoxy's.

#16 ·
An ice fly twelve inches up from a black teardrop is what I use. I told a friend here at work about it and he is out fishing his buddy 10:1.

He talked about catching fish on a bare fly yesterday. Usually it is baited with one spike.

Ken

#17 ·
An ice fly twelve inches up from a black teardrop is what I use. I told a friend here at work about it and he is out fishing his buddy 10:1.

He talked about catching fish on a bare fly yesterday. Usually it is baited with one spike.

Ken
yeah ken, I've heard a few guys do this, and I've been meaning to give it a shot very soon. i got some nice ants in the jig swaps we used to do on here years ago. bet those would be killer above a main jig of choice.

#21 ·
They were slamming the pink n white moosh with red n white spikes this evening. Started slow but ended in a gill n crappie frenzy 😄. 7 fow. Fish caught from top to bottom. Fun nite on the ice. Was a lil worried with the bright sunlight n slow bite early but when the shadows became long it was game on!!! Fish Marine biology Seafood Electric blue Wood
. A new fryers club member 😄😄. Shrubby

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.