Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Lights Out Wheat Porter from Fenton Brewery, the other night.

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Cousin's husband runs IT at Surly Brewery in Minnesota. He was kind enough to bring me 16 cans of this fine beer. Lager mixed with real coffee. Not a Stout or Porter, very different and very good.

Reactions: WHITE BEAR

· Registered
7,937 Posts

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Sounds interesting. I'd like to try that. Do they distribute anywhere in Michigan?
It's also available in Wisconsin and Illinois apparently.

· Registered
7,937 Posts

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Deschutes Jubelale. So so so good. The toffee and spices are really growing on me. Perfectly paired with a boneless Ribeye and crab cakes on a cool fall evening. Cheers to ushering in a great fall and beautiful winter.

Reactions: Gamechanger

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Deschutes Jubelale. Festive winter ale with warming spices and notes of cocoa and toffee. Seasonal craft beer from Bend, OR. You MUST try it. It's the best winter ale I have found yet.

· Registered
7,937 Posts
This. /thread

I am hooked on Bourbon Barrel beer. Started with Dragons Milk, but have moved on to smoother selections. Dragons Milk has a sharp after bite to it...and is pricey. One of the first to market, but not the best.

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Deschutes Blindside Baltic Porter.

Whoa. Taste bud overload of awesomeness. Slightly sweet, slightly smoky, smooth finish. Perfect. Best porter EVER! Wish it was available in a six pack! Only available in Beer Mecca.

Reactions: hypox

· Registered
7,937 Posts
I feel a challenge coming on. Gonzo's vanilla porter is to die for. I'll have to try this one for a comparison.

So where is this place?
Portland, Oregon...flights ain't cheap.

Now, where do I get Gonzo's? I'll report...

Oregon is, in my opinion, the Mecca for craft beer. Over 200 microbreweries. I haven't even scratched the surface.

And the food? Line caught Pacific Coho with Spatzle? To die for...

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Deschutes sounds good. I swear I've seen something of theirs in the store. Emergency purchase of anchor brewing Porter the other night. I normally try to stay with Michigan when I can. A pretty good beer, nothing special. This k I like Great Lakes EF better.

Deschutes is distributed here in Michigan, however it's their traditional staple beers like Black Butte Porter, Obsidian Stout, and their mainstay IPA's. They custom brew a lot of one off beers for tap only in their public houses, which is what Blindside was . They release a seasonal too, which the best one is Jubalale, available October to Feb. Meijer is already out of it and I'm searching for any remaining six packs I can grab.

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Not bad, love the can.

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Rochester Mills Blueberry Pancake Stout. Can't say I love it. It's not bad, but a bit odd and not sure I like the blueberry flavor in a stout. Hmm.

· Registered
7,937 Posts
I like it, like it a lot. Have had 7 of them so far this season. 5 more to go. Have had one or two at the s0n-in-laws.

This was one of the flavors in their 12 Days sample pack that they came out with last year. See these msgs about our recommendations regarding temps to serve these brews:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/shorts.581175/page-2#post-6225780

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/shorts.581175/page-2#post-6225756
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/shorts.581175/page-2#post-6225756

Good points, it was better near 60° than a fridge 35°.

Reactions: alex-v

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Had Ski Patrol this past weekend. Nice Belgian Wit. Not my favorite, but being on ski patrol...

· Registered
7,937 Posts
I'm not much of a beer snob and usually go for the rough stuff like PBR, Busch or Hamms but I was out with friends and family over the weekend and tried some Rochester Mills Brewery BBA Maple Brown Ale and it may be that I'm fond of a bourbon now and again but this stuff was something I could get used to!

Where o where South one findeth this creation?! Without going all the way to Rochester??

Biggest gripe is the lack of BBA beer in cans and bottles.

· Registered
7,937 Posts
I drop into Meijer 3-4 times a week. The only BBA I've seen is Dragons Milk and just barrel aged Carhartt Woodsman.

I've been able to get BBA at local taps.

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Blackthorn Irish Pub in beautiful downtown Holly. In your neck of the woods maybe the Fenton Firehouse would have it? I was there not to long ago and although I didn't partake in in any craft beers that night they do have quite a selection of Rochester Mills products on their beer menu!

Have you looked in Alex's? Its that big party store/gas station at the Grange Hall Rd exit at I-75?

Yep, I have been to all of those places. They will typically carry the staples from Rochester Mills and other breweries, but I have never seen a BBA on tap. Surprisingly, I did find a nice bourbon barrel aged beer in a can from Perrin at The Barn this winter.

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Alex's did have some Perrin Lil Griz in cans. Said they would have KBS on Tuesday. Nice!

Reactions: Mike

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Visited Witches Hat in South Lyon today. They had an amazing Bourbon Barrel Cinnamon Coconut Brown on tap. No growlers and not bottled! $5 for a 5oz pour. Worth every penny. Best BBA I've ever had. At 13.5% 5oz was enough. Had to ride a bike up to Wixom to visit the Drafting Table and then back to Draught Horse on Grand River.

Reactions: Mike
1 - 20 of 35 Posts