Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
4,504 Posts
It's Monday. Forgive me but it's Blatz.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Ore Dock Brewing Co. Porter & Six Pointer Dunkel. The Six Pointer is new, and the six point come from the Stormy Cromer.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
That looks like a winner. I've got Bell's Winter White Ale tonight. Honestly it's o. k., but if it wasn't seasonal I'd have bought something else.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Tonight is my most recent favorite. It is the real Stroh's in short bottles from Detroit. It better than the pre-Milwaukee stuff and much better than the current canned stuff. I've tried and liked a lot of beer, but this always hits the spot for me. Word of warning: A shooting buddy of mine took my advise and considered the stuff undrinkable. He and his friends only choked it down because they were too far from the beer store to get more.

Reactions: Jimbos

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Might be, you never know.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
I don't know why, but I've always been vaguely disappointed with any of the Keweenaw stuff I've bought. It was O. K. and drinkable, just disappointing. Somehow the taste or feel is slightly waterey. They're one of the few breweries I steer clear of.

Reactions: Forest Meister

· Registered
4,504 Posts
If you like brown ales then I would suggest Blackrocks Coconut Brown. One of the better browns in Michigan right now in my opinion. nice easy drinker but some character to it as well.
Be warned. The stuff tastes like coconut. I was not expecting that. At all. Ever. Period. I thought they were just referring to the color.

Reactions: jiggin is livin

· Registered
4,504 Posts
A local bar has the Pick Axe Blond on tap, and it doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Reactions: sureshot006

· Registered
4,504 Posts
I spent a few evenings and afternoons at KBC back in college and never had any issues with their beers from the tap. But the blonde was not one I tried more than once.
Pretty slim choices at this bar. Believe me, the pick axe is the best draft there. I go there for the pizza.

Reactions: sureshot006

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Tonight it's real Detroit short bottle Stroh's followed by PBR.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Blackrocks is probably my favorite brewery. Stop by every time I’m in the UP.
Have you tried Ore Dock? Usually I like their products better than Blackrocks.

Reactions: brewster

· Registered
4,504 Posts
How does the Goober compare to a straight up porter?

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Thanks for the info. I like beer to taste like beer, and have been fooled too many times by truthful names that I didn't believe.

Reactions: Aaronjeep2

· Registered
4,504 Posts
I had 2 over the weekend; Petoskey Brewing's Blueberry Crush and a Short's/Madtree collaboration called the Bonsai Project.

Blueberry Crush had very good blueberry flavor and was smooth drinking. But it lacked any carbonation, which I kind of missed. The cans were also filled to THE very top. No air or headspace whatsoever which I don't think I've ever seen in a beer. Alcohol content was 7%.

The Bonsai Project is Short's/Madtree's take on a gin and tonic. It was 3 cans of "gin" and 3 cans of "tonic". Pour them both into a glass and it looks like grapefruit juice. Combined, they tasted ok and was fairly refreshing. I tried them individually too, for research sake. The "tonic" beer tasted pretty close to tonic, which I enjoyed. The "gin" beer had a very small hint of gin taste, but was definitely weak. Not sure what the alcohol content was.

Still, I applaud brewers who are trying to push the envelope and get ever more creative with beer. And these collaborations that are happening more and more are churning out some interesting stuff.
I haven't tried Samuel Adams since the early 90's, because it tasted like gin. I didn't want my beer to taste like gin.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Today's taste treat is Bell's Winter White. I know it is prosaic on this forum, but I like it.

Reactions: brewster

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Today is my St. Patty's day, so it is Guinness Extra Stout. After trying many things it is still my favorite.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
I'm a Yooper, but not a Finlander. St. Urho's Day is for Eino and Toivo.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
I haven't seen that yet, but I'll have to keep an eye open. It looks interesting.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
I couldn't decide tonight so I got a six-pack of Ore Dock Porter and Ore Dock Blond.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
I'll pass on the Key Lime beer, but what's the Short's like? They always have good stuff.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts