·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The Anti-Tank Guided Missile by Frederic P. Miller

·
Premium Member
28,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Like you choice of books. Always find history of native peoples interesting. I work with two brothers who are Huestecs and really went down some rabbit holes researching Meso-American cultures. I think I'll be checking out a few of the books on your list.
Some other books in my library on similar topics -

Mesoamerica (mostly Mayan) -
Copan : The History of an Ancient Maya Kingdom - E. Wyllys Andrews
Ancient Mesoamerica: A Comparison of Change in Three Regions - Richard E. Blanton,Stephen A. Kowalewski,Gary M. Feinman,Laura M. Finsten
The Maya - Michael Coe
Breaking the Maya Code - Michael Coe
Reading the Maya Glyphs, Second Edition - Michael Coe, Mark Van Stone
Yucatan Before and After the Conquest - Diego de Landa
Chronicle of the Maya Kings and Queens - Simon Martin
The Code of Kings: The Language of Seven Sacred Maya Temples and Tombs - Linda Schele, Peter Mathews,Macduff Everton
The Ancient Maya - Robert J. Sharer,Sylvanus Griswold Morley
Incidents of Travel In Yucatan - John L Stephens
Reading Maya Art - Andrea Stone
Scribes, Warriors and Kings: The City of Copan and the Ancient Maya - William L. Fash
A Forest of Kings: The Untold Story of the Ancient Maya - David Freidel, Linda Schele
The Spectacle of the Late Maya Court: Reflections on the Murals of Bonampak - Mary Miller,Claudia Brittenham
The Mysterious Maya - George E. Stuart,Gene S. Stuart
Maya Archaeology 1 - Various
Maya Archaeology 2 - Various

More general "discovery" -
1491 - Charles Mann
1493 - Charles Mann
The European Discovery of America: The Northern Voyages - Samuel Morison
The European Discovery of America: The Southern Voyages - Samuel Morison

Michigan Natives -
Rites of Conquest: The History and Culture of Michigan's Native Americans - Charles E. Cleland

WW1 AND Mesoamerican Archaeology -
The Archaeologist Was a Spy - Charles Harris

·
Registered
509 Posts
Some other books in my library on similar topics -

Mesoamerica (mostly Mayan) -
Copan : The History of an Ancient Maya Kingdom - E. Wyllys Andrews
Ancient Mesoamerica: A Comparison of Change in Three Regions - Richard E. Blanton,Stephen A. Kowalewski,Gary M. Feinman,Laura M. Finsten
The Maya - Michael Coe
Breaking the Maya Code - Michael Coe
Reading the Maya Glyphs, Second Edition - Michael Coe, Mark Van Stone
Yucatan Before and After the Conquest - Diego de Landa
Chronicle of the Maya Kings and Queens - Simon Martin
The Code of Kings: The Language of Seven Sacred Maya Temples and Tombs - Linda Schele, Peter Mathews,Macduff Everton
The Ancient Maya - Robert J. Sharer,Sylvanus Griswold Morley
Incidents of Travel In Yucatan - John L Stephens
Reading Maya Art - Andrea Stone
Scribes, Warriors and Kings: The City of Copan and the Ancient Maya - William L. Fash
A Forest of Kings: The Untold Story of the Ancient Maya - David Freidel, Linda Schele
The Spectacle of the Late Maya Court: Reflections on the Murals of Bonampak - Mary Miller,Claudia Brittenham
The Mysterious Maya - George E. Stuart,Gene S. Stuart
Maya Archaeology 1 - Various
Maya Archaeology 2 - Various

More general "discovery" -
1491 - Charles Mann
1493 - Charles Mann
The European Discovery of America: The Northern Voyages - Samuel Morison
The European Discovery of America: The Southern Voyages - Samuel Morison

Michigan Natives -
Rites of Conquest: The History and Culture of Michigan's Native Americans - Charles E. Cleland

WW1 AND Mesoamerican Archaeology -
The Archaeologist Was a Spy - Charles Harris
Breaking the Maya Code is excellent.
Fascinating subject when you realize the Maya are still there. In fact, the entire immigration to North America is an intriguing topic

·
Premium Member
28,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Breaking the Maya Code is excellent.
Yeah - interesting combination of epigraphy, cold war idiocy, and misguided cultural beliefs.

Fascinating subject when you realize the Maya are still there.
Yep... the Maya collapse

1) Wasn't really a collapse as much as a long term period of rolling state failure and migration

2) Doesn't appear to have involved a large scale population collapse, but merely a collapse of the political/religious/state structures. The Maya didn't disappear - their model of kingship and large cities just faded back into small communities.

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
That's a beautiful looking reel!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Sadly, they're no longer made. Discontinued for the American market in 1981, European market in 2009, and Japanese market in 2012. The Japanese and Europeans love them for trout.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Alaska by James Michener. When I started it my Kindle said it was 27 hours long. Not sure how they determine that number, but my damn Kindle feels thicker and heavier.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just bought a bunch of books with my Xmas bonus, and emptied my wish list. Now I need to refill it.

What is everyone reading/recommending?

My new books:

True History of Cozumel, Volume 2 - Ric Hajovsky
Natural History of Cozumel - Ric Hajovsky
Coffeeland: One Man's Dark Empire and the Making of Our Favorite Drug - Augustine Sedgewick
Foragers, Farmers, and Fossil Fuels: How Human Values Evolve - Ian Morris
The Death of Expertise: The Campaign Against Established Knowledge and Why it Matters - Tom Nichols
Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America - Barbara Ehrenreich
In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex - Nathaniel Philbrick
The Decipherment of Linear B - John Chadwick
Stalin and the Bomb : The Soviet Union and Atomic Energy, 1939-1956 - David Holloway
A Crime in the Family: A World War II Secret Buried in Silence--and My Search for the Truth - Sacha Batthyany
A History of the Ancient near East, c. 3000-323 BC - Van De Mieroop
Jungle of Stone: The Extraordinary Journey of John L. Stephens and Frederick Catherwood, and the Discovery of the Lost Civilization of the Maya - William Carlsen
Sea Power: The History and Geopolitics of the World's Oceans - Adm. James Stavridis USN
Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions - Brian Christian
Temple of the Night Sun: A Royal Maya Tomb at El Diablo, Guatemala - Stephen Houston
Heritage or Heresy: Archaeology and Culture on the Maya Riviera - Dr. Cameron Jean Walker
Strangers and Sojourners: A History of Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula - Arthur W. Thurner
Palenque: Eternal City of the Maya - David Stuart
Labyrinth of Ice: The Triumphant and Tragic Greely Polar Expedition - Buddy Levy
Hue 1968: A Turning Point of the American War in Vietnam - Mark Bowden
You can just send those to me when you are done. Seems we have similar tastes in books!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Just got done reading the Harbinger and the Paradigm by Johnathon Kahn (SIC?). Also recently read the Cedarville Conspiracy.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Just got done reading the Harbinger and the Paradigm by Johnathon Kahn (SIC?). Also recently read the Cedarville Conspiracy.
The cedarville book is a good one..

My dad's brother was on it when it went down.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Get outa hear, lol...now that's a passion !....recent reading for me has been "Shadows of the Koyukuk" an Alaskan native's life along the river.... and then was "The final frontiersman" about Heimo Korth in ANWR, good stuff....now picking my way thru 2 books...."Alaska's wolf man" the 1915-55 adventures of Frank Glaser...

And "Historical events early days in Detroit" by Friend Palmer....published by Hunt & June....copyright 1906 ! don't get any better than that, lol....

21 - 40 of 72 Posts