Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going down to Cabela's later this week. What are the basic supplies I need to pick up for my lab puppy hunting training (mostly ducks/geese)?

So far I am planning on:
1. whistle
2. longer leash
3. small bumpers
4. whatever that longer field line cord is called
5. maybe one of those rubber fake dead duck bumpers

Am I missing anything critical?

Thanks for all the input :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
yeah, Lion Country supply, they will have everything you want without the cabela's price tag to pay for the fancy buildings! check out the website and request a catalog.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Another place I would look at for dog supplies is www.dogsafield.com. Jerry Day is a great guy to deal with for dog product.

One thing I would look at getting are white paint rollers from Lowe's or Home Depot. While you dog is a puppy and still has his puppy teeth, paint rollers are soft and "forgiving". The reason for paint rollers is so your pup doesn't injure his adult teeth as they are coming in.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had read about using paint rollers and have been using them so far. That is something I would have never though of on my own

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
You, mostly...and a good vet, several dog bowls of his own, a couple of toys that are fairly puppy proof, a dog crate for little puppy and a larger one for big dog, and a place to call all his own, like a spot in your house or a kennel and a dog house in the yard. I absolutely abhor chains, and have found that it is also demeaning to dogs-they don't work for you as well when they're chained as they will when they have their own little spot.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
If it is out of Hi-test field trial line I suggest an aluminum baseball bat and an E-collar with a 2-3 mile range with an intensity dial that goes from "mild burn" to "electrocute". :evil:

Everyone has given you plenty of ideas. Lots of good books about starting that retriever out there. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Woody80 said:
I'm going down to Cabela's later this week. What are the basic supplies I need to pick up for my lab puppy hunting training (mostly ducks/geese)?

So far I am planning on:
1. whistle
2. longer leash
3. small bumpers
4. whatever that longer field line cord is called
5. maybe one of those rubber fake dead duck bumpers

Am I missing anything critical?

Thanks for all the input :) :) :)

Sounds like a good list, but you also going to need a big supply of time and patiences! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts