Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and my buddy have been hunting lsc this year for the first time so needless to say we've been learning. we have been out 5 times and not 1 bird has tried to land in our decoys ! they fly right over us and go to the next guy. we put out 7 dozen decoys, 2 mojos, and hunt from the boat. our 18' flatbottom has a collapsable camo blind over it but i noticed yesterday that guys are hiding there boats and standing in the grass. are the birds seeing my boat?, am i set up too close to the decoys? ( usually 20 yrds). man i really like hunting from the boat but do i half to stand in the water to shoot any birds? we have changed everything else we've been doing wrong so i'm wondering if this is it?

·
Registered
486 Posts
My experience with boat blind hunting on LSC is that you will not get many birds that want to land in your decoys if you've set up in a boat blind out in open water. If your hunting the marshes and get the boat into some vegetation, it's a different story. I'd keep the decoys between 20 and 35 yards away from the boat and not shoot at anything that isn't inside the furthest blocks.

Also, if you're hunting the marshes in the flats, it's really all about location, location, location...if you're not where the birds want to be, they will fly right bye and go to the spot (where somebody else is probably set up).

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
me and my buddy have been hunting lsc this year for the first time so needless to say we've been learning. we have been out 5 times and not 1 bird has tried to land in our decoys ! they fly right over us and go to the next guy. we put out 7 dozen decoys, 2 mojos, and hunt from the boat. our 18' flatbottom has a collapsable camo blind over it but i noticed yesterday that guys are hiding there boats and standing in the grass. are the birds seeing my boat?, am i set up too close to the decoys? ( usually 20 yrds). man i really like hunting from the boat but do i half to stand in the water to shoot any birds? we have changed everything else we've been doing wrong so i'm wondering if this is it?

First off some times its easyer to know more about your hunting

Second every one is having the same problem the birds are acting weird this year with the weather

7 doz decoys... Look around and see what the birds you are hunting are doing, On the lake I hunt the birds have been sitting in groups 18 or less so I have been putting out 10 or 12 decoys. I like putting out just a few less then what the birds are sitting in.

Mojos... this time of year ducks have seen thousands of set ups, and Mojo is not the answer with no ''fresh'' birds coming the birds you are hunting have seen 100s of Mojos and ever time they land with them they get shot at, so why land

The boat... not sure on this one we might need to see you setup if you have a good blind and have it hiding should be ok, but I cant tell you the answer not knowing whats going on with the boat,

If you have been out 5 times and done it the same way every time, start changing stuff one big thing about duck hunting is being able to change to try and produce a different out come

scott

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
First off some times its easyer to know more about your hunting

7 doz decoys... Look around and see what the birds you are hunting are doing, On the lake I hunt the birds have been sitting in groups 18 or less so I have been putting out 10 or 12 decoys. I like putting out just a few less then what the birds are sitting in.

Mojos... this time of year ducks have seen thousands of set ups, and Mojo is not the answer with no ''fresh'' birds coming the birds you are hunting have seen 100s of Mojos and ever time they land with them they get shot at, so why land

scott
Lot a truth in these two paragraphs. If you have ever watched seven dozen ducks on the water they create quite a stir. If you have no quiver magnets, jerk strings, mallard machines etc etc You have seven dozen lifeless decoys.

If you care not to purchase above mentioned items, run a smaller spread. 8-10 decoys motionless is better than 7 dozen IMO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys. we have been tucking the boat into the grass pretty good but it is a fabric camo blind so i'm not sure how it looks to the ducks. i have been kinda seeing how the other guys are setting up and trying to follow them but maybe i'm just setting up in the wrong spot. yesterday we watched groups of 4-6 land in open water 200 yrds away and not even look in our direction. maybe i do need to loose some decoys right now.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
As stated earlier, lose the Mojo.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
LESS IS SOMETIMES MORE with these non new birds Ive used as few as 4 decoys and watch them commit like crazy because thats what they wanted.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Marsh hunting in general in and around the St. Clair Flats is ussually pretty slow and only heats up on a few special occasions.

If you want some shooting put a spread of about 2-3 dz. bufflehead decoys and set up just of the weeds around Grassy Island / Baltimore Hwy. area.

Should get some shooting.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Lots of good replies already.

Agree 100% with Shi Kid and others...cedar is the best if you can do it. Doesn't fold down real well though :lol:

Boat blinds in general are tough to lure wary puddlers, which is much of what you're dealing with there. One thing I learned a few years ago on Sag. Bay...I won't say divers are easy, but divers will come pretty well to a rig like yours even in the open water, where puddlers generally won't, especially wary puddlers. So if you simply want to shoot ducks, you may want to target divers instead, and park in the open. You'll likely get shooting even if it's buffies and ruddies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts