Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of replacing the rear fender of my 06 Artic Cat 650 atv. I just got off the phone with Lumber Jacks in Almont and B & B in Flint.
Lumber Jacks price was $425 delivered and B&B was $389, that doesn't even include putting it on by the dealership (another $145).
My complaint is, last year (yeah I know, I should have done it then) I got a price from B&B at $300 out the door, labor included. What's frustrating is being in the plastics manufacturing business. I know there's not more than $10 in plastic in this part. Replacement stickers $7 to $8 each. What a bunch of crap.
Think I might stick with the repair job I did in it last year or order it direct from Arctic Cat.

·
Registered
407 Posts
There was a fella on Detroit Metro Craigslist that was advertizing his business of Plastic Welding might want to check it out

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe he's out of business? I emailed and called him yesterday. Haven't heard from him.

There was a fella on Detroit Metro Craigslist that was advertizing his business of Plastic Welding might want to check it out

·
Registered
717 Posts
Couldn't you put it on yourself? Get a few friends together and a few drinks later,job done. Odds are though,whatever broke the old one will break the new one. I've seen guys stitch the cracks together by drilling holes on each side and using zip ties,Frankenstein style!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I did buy one, I'd put it on myself, can't see paying $75 an hour for that. What I'm going to do is get a plastic welding kit. I've worked in the plastics business for 25 years so I'm confident in doing this. I'm just waiting for Arctic Cat to call me back and tell me exactly what kind of material the fenders are made of. I think it's Polypropylene, which would work perfect, because at my work we have a couple of jobs that run red PP, so I won't have to guy buy red "welding rods". I'm just kind of ticked that Arctic cat's voice message said someone would get back to me in 24 hours, well it's going on 48 now. I'm going to post a thread to see if anyone knows what kind of material they're made of.
Thanks Ricochet for the heads up on the plastic welder, I started realizing this was something I could do myself. I should have remembered, years ago, my buddy's dad helped me fix a crack in my Ski doos gas tank, he used a propane torch and a plastic milk jug, basically just like soldering.

Couldn't you put it on yourself? Get a few friends together and a few drinks later,job done. Odds are though,whatever broke the old one will break the new one. I've seen guys stitch the cracks together by drilling holes on each side and using zip ties,Frankenstein style!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts