Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first off got a late start and with bas roads that juat made it later yet. Was going to thomas again we get there and obviosly all the tie downs are frozen. So after that little bit off trouble we get heading out and a mile into it my sled quits on me and can not get it going again. Decided to drag it to the slots and just be stuck there for the day. I wasnt about to not go fishing. I think the stator or cdi took a **** on me. Anyone in the slot right now doing anygood. Well i better get something for all this well atleast i got really good gas mileage today still have a full tank.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Well first off got a late start and with bas roads that juat made it later yet. Was going to thomas again we get there and obviosly all the tie downs are frozen. So after that little bit off trouble we get heading out and a mile into it my sled quits on me and can not get it going again. Decided to drag it to the slots and just be stuck there for the day. I wasnt about to not go fishing. I think the stator or cdi took a **** on me. Anyone in the slot right now doing anygood. Well i better get something for all this well atleast i got really good gas mileage today still have a full tank.

Had to cut my safety rope off my sled last night. No chance of untying that frozen chunk. Just talked to a buddy of mine that broke the drive chain? on his sled 4 miles out. Working on dragging that in too. Stay with it, it can only get better.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its pretty frozen right now and the wind is a howling!!!! Thats what my now broken down sled is liquid cooled but im getting draged around by a quad.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Decided to drag it to the slots and just be stuck there for the day

Don't you have to take the belt off to tow it? I usually fish alone and concern about what the heck do I do if my sled quits on me on the way back 8 miles out. Specially like last night that there were not too many people around. Got cell phone and gps, and enough propane tanks. who do I call? should I call coast gaurd? Sheriff? I can probably fish all night and wait for daybreak.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. I fish alone most of the time. Try to stay with pack or on the edge and I pull a sled full of plan Bs but you can't plan for everything. I really dont know what I would do if something major happened. Spend the night I guess. I do know people that have had all there stuff stolen after leaving it out there. I guess there are people around the bay area that will help. Maybe somebody will post there numbers. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
leaving the stuff out there is not an option unless I am close to shore, let say a mile. I do not think that I want to walk back 8 miles at dark to boat launch, it would take 4 hour to walk back. More comfortable and safer to stay in warm shanty and wait for daylight. Hopefully someone has a number for us to keep in our wallet. I wonder if we should call 911 in that situation.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
should I call coast gaurd? Sheriff? I can probably fish all night and wait for daybreak.

The Coast Guard should really only be called in life/death situations. I doubt they'd come out for a simple breakdown. If they somehow did, I would expect a hefty bill in the mail, and you'd still be leaving your equipment out there. I doubt the sheriff would come out in that situation as well, unless the weather turned severe, the ice was breaking up, etc.

That's one of the reasons so many of us preach "don't go out alone". You might be able to squeeze by if you're alone 3 miles out or less and break down, but 8?

Long, lonely walk in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.