·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get into duck hunting,it's fun..
Start early on geese,it's fun..
No special gear needed for birds..
Someone lied...
Now for the story.. At 42,I've never bothered to try duck/goose hunting. But this year,u got talked into trying it (sorta). Bought the licenses needed including the fed.duck stamp. After being told a 20ga was fine,went looking for shells (DNR don't like finding lead rounds on a hunter)
. That was fun,found 2 boxes of 3" #3.. But seen 12ga rounds,so I pulled the trigger and picked up a 12ga. Remington chamber up to 3.5". Figured I was good for anything.. now to get the shells I'd seen before.. GONE.. 3weeks now looking for either 12ga or 20ga shells.. (better chances of finding an honest politician).. then SCORE.. co worker has 12ga 3.5" BB and #2 shot that he can't use.. 10.00 a box.. bought all 5.. called same guy that talked me into the idea and... The spots he knew of are over hunted and/or plowed.. no birds.. so,now I need to find somewhere to hunt (no clue what I'm looking for) ...
If this is someone idea of fun,their life really must suck.. ok rant over..

·
Super Moderator
21,261 Posts
Much like the Detroit River, the Salmon Run in the NW Rivers, Grouse ... the list goes on

·
Registered
440 Posts
"No special gear needed for birds.."

How'd you fall for that one? You've never seen all the decoys, calls, clothing, blinds, boats, rules, etc. specific to waterfowling?

·
Registered
19,825 Posts
Congrats L.o.t.i..!

Birds fly all over. They feed. They loaf. They hide.
Jump around and find some spots.
Don't avoid private land. Or populated public if shooting is allowed.

A site can be busy one week and not again the rest of the season.
Another site can have birds stopping to visit during migrations.
The early local birds use of water can relate to later flights , but things can and do change.
Keep jumping around. And if you find a sweet spot , keep jumping ( homework wise) in case it cools off.
A host /landowner when asked was kind enough to let me hunt a muck farm with a couple ponds.
Was a sweet spot a while.
The ends (locations) of the hows and whys of the birds visits mattered. And varied.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Get into duck hunting,it's fun..
Start early on geese,it's fun..
No special gear needed for birds..
Someone lied...
Now for the story.. At 42,I've never bothered to try duck/goose hunting. But this year,u got talked into trying it (sorta). Bought the licenses needed including the fed.duck stamp. After being told a 20ga was fine,went looking for shells (DNR don't like finding lead rounds on a hunter)
. That was fun,found 2 boxes of 3" #3.. But seen 12ga rounds,so I pulled the trigger and picked up a 12ga. Remington chamber up to 3.5". Figured I was good for anything.. now to get the shells I'd seen before.. GONE.. 3weeks now looking for either 12ga or 20ga shells.. (better chances of finding an honest politician).. then SCORE.. co worker has 12ga 3.5" BB and #2 shot that he can't use.. 10.00 a box.. bought all 5.. called same guy that talked me into the idea and... The spots he knew of are over hunted and/or plowed.. no birds.. so,now I need to find somewhere to hunt (no clue what I'm looking for) ...
If this is someone idea of fun,their life really must suck.. ok rant over..
Welcome to Waterfowling.
Rule #1: gotta pay your dues.
No shortcuts.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was one elaborate ruse your co worker pulled on you just to find someone to sell his shells to.
Different people.. the one that talked me into it,is still trying to find more shells.. the one with the shells, doesn't hunt anymore..

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"No special gear needed for birds.."

How'd you fall for that one? You've never seen all the decoys, calls, clothing, blinds, boats, rules, etc. specific to waterfowling?
Seen..yes.. thought it might be a requirement,nope... (Besides the steel shot only).. being a first year "try it first" idea,I didn't want to start dumping money into gear I might not use again.. (decoys,calls,blinds)..

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can make it as complicated or as simple as you want. Scouting and finding birds and honey holes are half the fun.

There’s a reason It’s called duck hunting and not duck shooting.

Good luck out there!
Found a few spots/birds.. a lake near me That has had birds every day,but no decoys or camo boat. Second is a cut bean field that I can hunt off old beaver and chip rd,but again,no decoys or calls (or clue what I'm doing). and I don't have the extra grand to get what I don't have... I guess,it was a good reason to buy a new gun..

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can hunt out of a kayak or canoe if you have one, throw some burlap or camo netting over it and zip tie some brush to it, not pretty but it will get the job done. Sierra Trading Post often has decoys on sale for $30 or less, a half dozen will getting you into some birds, or look on facebook marketplace or craigslist, I have a 10 dozen decoy diver spread, all but maybe a dozen were bought used and painted. you have done a good amount of the work already identifying spots where the birds want to be, now set some decoys there, figure out a way to make yourself blend in and give em he&%

·
Registered
360 Posts
Found a few spots/birds.. a lake near me That has had birds every day,but no decoys or camo boat. Second is a cut bean field that I can hunt off old beaver and chip rd,but again,no decoys or calls (or clue what I'm doing). and I don't have the extra grand to get what I don't have... I guess,it was a good reason to buy a new gun..
If you ever make it down around Detroit I’ll give you a dozen deeks and a call. You don’t need a camo boat.
To be honest I use my kayak 90% of the time and stash it and sit on a marsh stool. Nowhere is off limits.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You don't need to dump a bunch of money into it to get a few ducks and have a good time. I started out jumping ducks on small creeks and streams with my 870. Only need some waders, and a gun. It's still one of my favorite ways to get a duck or two. Although I have put a bunch of money into accessories since then, it can be done on the cheap.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
This sport can be as expensive or as cheap as you make it. I started off with a bag of decoys bought used for $20. Killed quite a few birds over them.

You don't need many either. Tailor your spread to the area you are hunting. This past weekend Sunday I had exactly six decoys out. Another crew came in and wanted to join. One of their lines was "you don't have many decoys out and no mojo's. We can help with that."

I'm good fellas. There's four dozen decoys and two mojo's in the Tahoe. I have out exactly how many I want.

Canoe or kayak is nice to have but not required. I've found and hunted quite a few spots that need neither.

Calls can do more harm than good. A great caller can suck every bird away from you. But a bad caller has the same impact driving birds away. Stay away from good callers unless they are calling for you. I can call geese. Can't call ducks.

Another option is to find people that will let you hunt with them that have the gear. If you have access to a field with birds, myself and a lot of other guys will drive to help lol.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts