Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Why do you guys wear gloves while hunting?(serious) A hand modeling career? (Joking)
I don't generally wear gloves unless its below 25 degrees or so, I guess I'm just curious.
I rarely where gloves.
Maybe jersey gloves while ice fishing.
I tried to get the glove thing going but I can't do it.Not even at work.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Why do you guys wear gloves while hunting?(serious) A hand modeling career? (Joking)
I don't generally wear gloves unless its below 25 degrees or so, I guess I'm just curious.
I was wondering the same. I figured it was for briars

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I wear gloves for a couple of different reasons. 1. I feel like I have a better grip on the gun, especially when it’s wet out. 2. I was sick of my hands getting all cut and scraped up from walking thru thick cover. Same reason why I wear briar pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Reactions: Zeboy

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
16 ga? Well no wonder the grouse won.

Dog looks well!
He’ll be 5 next month and it’s probably time to get the next one. So hopefully a pup will becoming home this winter. Then the fun starts again!

Reactions: Nostromo

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I cannot shoot with gloves on. I'm short so I have small hands and fingers are usually bunched up. I've shot a lot of deer and looked down afterwards to see my glove on the ground. I don't even remember taking them off.

If it's cold out, I'll wear one on my left hand but just can't have one on my trigger finger and hate fingerless gloves.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yes it was a serious question. Iv probably hunted 20ish days this season plus a bunch of days preseason running dogs and I can look at the back of my hands and there is nary a scratch. Maybe you guys hunt Thornier stuff than I do? I avoid raspberrys and my hands don't get cold easily. I don't care at all one way or the other I was just asking.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yes it was a serious question. Iv probably hunted 20ish days this season plus a bunch of days preseason running dogs and I can look at the back of my hands and there is nary a scratch. Maybe you guys hunt Thornier stuff than I do? I avoid raspberrys and my hands don't get cold easily. I don't care at all one way or the other I was just asking.
You elite setter guys… I’ll never understand
As a funny anecdote. My best buddy who I hunt with very often began wearing gloves a few years ago and he still can't pin down exactly why he wears them. Well while he was up hunting his dog got ahold of one of his gloves and chewed one finger tip off. So he hunted without them that day. While he was gone my wife found some perfectly matching leather and sewed on a new finger tip. He was very thankful and wore the gloves for the rest of the trip. Then the next trip he had a new pair. I asked if the patch wore out? He said no, they just looked to ratty with the sewed on finger lol!! So he bought a brand new pair of 90 dollar gloves because they "looked ratty"? I think i know why HE is wearing gloves...it's all about "the look" to him 😎 and guess what he's still my best buddy but that doesn't mean I don't give him crap about "how many more birds he must kill because of his high dollar gloves"

·
Registered
913 Posts

As a funny anecdote. My best buddy who I hunt with very often began wearing gloves a few years ago and he still can't pin down exactly why he wears them. Well while he was up hunting his dog got ahold of one of his gloves and chewed one finger tip off. So he hunted without them that day. While he was gone my wife found some perfectly matching leather and sewed on a new finger tip. He was very thankful and wore the gloves for the rest of the trip. Then the next trip he had a new pair. I asked if the patch wore out? He said no, they just looked to ratty with the sewed on finger lol!! So he bought a brand new pair of 90 dollar gloves because they "looked ratty"? I think i know why HE is wearing gloves...it's all about "the look" to him 😎 and guess what he's still my best buddy but that doesn't mean I don't give him crap about "how many more birds he must kill because of his high dollar gloves"
You elite setter guys… I’ll never understand

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I wear gloves for a couple of different reasons. 1. I feel like I have a better grip on the gun, especially when it’s wet out. 2. I was sick of my hands getting all cut and scraped up from walking thru thick cover. Same reason why I wear briar pants.

I get it but for me I have construction hands and all my work is by handling different materials in the flooring industry.I make hundreds to thousands of cuts a day,hand scrape floors,etc, and also work without knee pads.Those knee pads and gloves make it hot and sore causing inflammation and discomfort.I run hot and don't like the heat.
I wore a t shirt all week grouse hunting last week.
I have the air on 64 right now so I can sleep good.
I've tried to wear thin cut gloves but I can't deal with it.Wish I could but on that note my hands are always scratched and cut up so the hunting is easier on them.Hunting for a week and they actually were in better shape than when I started.lol.
Late season pheasant I sometimes use jersey gloves if it's cold and no Sunshine.
To each their own👍

·
Registered
962 Posts
Get a good pair of (thin) leather gloves and give it a try. I doubt you would ever go back to not wearing gloves.

I prefer the Bob Allen's but Bean has some decent gloves also. There is even some good fowl weather golf gloves (they are sold in pairs) that are quite good and economical. I can't imagine grouse hunting and having to purposely avoid the raspberries . . . or the thorns. As previously stated, the grip on your gun is much better with a good pair of thin leather gloves. That is magnified when it's wet, though I have certain pairs that perform better when it's wet than others. Also, perspiration is horrible on the bluing of a gun for the guys carrying "pretty" guns. Furthermore, I have a hard time believing that anybody who has logged a lot of "frosty morning" hunts hasn't at least once had that "cake shot" spoiled by a numb thumb or finger that failed to get the safety off in a timely fashion. . . . and what the heck would we spend our money on if we didn't purchase things like gloves.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have given them a shot, my hands just get too warm and sweaty and they come off immediately. I have not tried them late season though and may try this year to see. But usually after 5 minutes of walking my blood is pumping and im good to go. As far as raspberries go, I generally don't hunt young aspen/big clear-cut areas and those areas from my experience are generally where there are lots of raspberries. And as far as nice things go. I spend my money on gas, retirement and my wife😉 and maybe beer...anyone who has seen my truck or my hair as of late knows I couldn't give a crap about how I may appear to others! Lol

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I like wearing gloves but unfortunately what others have posted about the heat in the past had prevented me to wear leather gloves. Fast forward years later work started using a cloth glove with plastic not nitrile or rubber. Picked some up somewhere but lately has found them at Merchandise Outlet. Last time I bought a pair they went up to 1.29. They only had high visibility orange at the time but I picked up 5 pairs. They come in different sizes so try them on to get the right size but very little sweating or not contributing heat, which is nice. They hold good even when wet they use to have a good supply in black, grey, hi visible yellow and orange. Last time not so much to choose from. Anyway in case someone wanted to try them especially when its hot I thought I would post. It sure is not going to break the bank and they work well if your using a shovel, pick, rake etc.. to stop blisters. The bad is the back of the hand is cloth and thin so raspberry scratches is still going to happen it may help with 50% but the estimate could be high or low, I will let you decide.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts