Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke out all my ice fishing stuff last night in preparation of next weekend and was disappointed to say the least when I opened my jig boxes. Apparently my Vexilar case was wet when I put it away and the water somehow dropped into my jig case causing all my jigs to rust. This mistake ruined about 150 jigs with some really nice tungsten and ficious jigs. Looks like I'm off to the tackle shop this weekend..

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Been there before...sorry to see that man! At least you have a sweet excuse to spend more money on new stuff!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Soak in WD40 you will be suprised. Oil doesn't bother fish
Yeah, I'll give that a try but most of these are so bad the rust ate right through the hooks and they just fall apart. I think I may be able to save maybe 10-15 of them.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
But evaporust from O'Reilly auto parts. Just soak and good as new. Should be safe on the paint. If not then it's off to Sdi

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you're going to throw that all out I would be more than happy to take it off your hands

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i soak rusted stuff in kerosene. eats the rust right off. sharpen the hooks and good to go

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's a major bummer. I got 3 clam double sided jig boxes fully loaded. After every outing I open them up and put them on my bookshelf in my bedroom n tell my wife she has to much invested in the boxes to let them rust n she won't touch them.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Head to the fishing show for a restock. There was one of the larger booths that has you-pick 12 Jigs for $10.

As for the water issue, I have my main collection of ice jigs in a water proof Plano container.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
If your plan is to re-stock, that is going to take a bit of change I'm sorry to say. First of all I am as guilty as every else when it comes to stocking up on fish attracters. But seriously, do we need all those lures? When I wire lined the Detroit river I had well over 300 pencil plugs, most of which never hit the water. (many wire liners had a lot more). Used 6 or so on a regular basis, and that was about it. I guess it's ladies buy shoes, men buy stuff.:). Hope you can save a majority of your stuff.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I soaked a bunch of them in WD40 for several hours and washed and gave them a good scrub with soap and water. A lot of them came out really nice but most of them were still beyond repair. I think I probably tossed about 100 jigs total and I tossed the old jib box too. I stopped at Gander on my way home and picked up a few more jigs and a new jig box with the blue inserts that protect from rust. Hopefully it actually works...

·
Registered
484 Posts
fishing show time... stock-up!.... maybe just buy a handful from the local bait shop and wait till March to watch for end of season sales to stretch the dollar...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts