Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...from another board...

To my angling friends and colleagues: it is with great sadness that I report that Ernest G. Schwiebert died this morning. I learned this from a mutual friend, who goes back to his and Ernie's college days at Ohio State.

I was only vaguely aware that Ernie was ill. My first hint was that he hadn't showed at any fly fishing events recently. It was only within the last few weeks that I learned his condition was serious.

Ernie was arguably the most brilliant mind the fly fishing world has ever seen. I don't want this to become an obituary or a eulogy, because that wouldn't be my place. Let's just say that his body of work speaks with all due eloquence.

He'll be missed, especially by those of us who knew him well.

Dick Talleur

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Very sad. We've lost a living link to another era, or two, of our sport, as well as a store of unique wisdom about flies and trout. RIP, good sir.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
"Fly hatches are seldom predictable. Some mysteries and moods of the river are impossible to explain. Sometimes the hatches simply fail to appear, and sometimes the fish puzzingly ignore a current covered with flies. April and its hatches share moodiness and pleasant enigmas, and I often think of both when late-winter snow is sifting through the trees"

Ernest Schwiebert - 1968 - The Time of the Hendricksons.

If anyone wants a good read for the winter try "The Complete Schwiebert".

A very sad day indeed. This man helped to create and nurture everything that is good about the pursuit of trout, life and fly-fishing.

I'll be taking a knee at the Mason Tract this spring for sure.

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
I remember when I heard that Cal Gates (Gates Ausable Lodge, and Rusty's Father) had passed years ago. He taught me to cast a fly and always had time to give me a pointer or show me exactly where to cast to get a rise. I have gotten away from fly fishing, and did not know Ernest, but I imagine they are fishing the true Holy Waters together right now. And may we join them when our time comes.....................

·
Registered
91 Posts
When men such as Ernie pass on, I hope that they realize just how many people they made an impact on with there writings. "Matching the hatch" was the second book I read on fly fishing. I thought " Wow, this is cool " . It helped to make this sport one of my passions.

Tight lines forever, Ernie !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts