Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wetlands restoration is good news for duck hunters

UNIONVILLE - A million bucks will hopefully bring lots of ducks to Saginaw Bay.

The federal government has awarded a $1 million grant to help conserve more than 4,800 acres of wetland and associated habitats in a coastal area stretching from Ogemaw and Iosco counties to the Ohio border.

The money, for phase two of the Saginaw Bay to Lake Erie Coastal Habitat Project, will be combined with about $3 million in other funds from federal and state agencies and conservation groups including Ducks Unlimited.

In Saginaw Bay, about $550,000 will be spent at the Fish Point State Wildlife Area near Unionville to replace and fix old pumps, water control structures and distribution canals, said Russ Terry, manager of conservation programs for Ducks Unlimited in Ann Arbor.

http://blog.mlive.com/bctimes/2008/09/wetlands_restoration_is_good_n.html

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Very welcome news ! FP is in need of a tune-up. I hope they install a supply line out into the bay and dredge the main channel deeper. That would solve a "Lot" of water problems..........:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
this is very welcome news for the whole coastline, I just wish it went a little farther north and encompassed Nayaquing point as well, the area is in need of help,

MDHA saginaw bay chapter has done alot but they can't do it alone,I fear for the longevity of that area

1 - 3 of 3 Posts