Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I woke up on the opener before the sun and headed out. I arrived at my first pool just after sun rise and had high hopes. I have always done well at this pool and the one just below it on a small trib. I started with the fly rod and after no luck switched to a spinner. After no luck I switched to worms. Still no luck.
It was cold and I decided I had gotten up early for no reason.

I spent the next few hours scouting for turkeys and generally just driving around.

The next stream was one I had been thinking about since fall and had never fished. Turned out it looked better then it was all I caught was my first creek chub of the season.

Finally around 10 I hit my favorite stream and when I arrived at the first good hole I pulled up this one 10" on a spinner.

UP stream to the next hole 10" and a small 7".

After that I was heading up this looked really fishy but didn't produce for me. I still liked the area so I snapped a pic.

Every year I find deer winter kill on these stream. Last year I think I found 3 this year is no exception.

Farther up stream another 10".

As I was crossing the stream and nearing one of my favorite holes it just looked fishing so I casted up stream and hooked this one solid. It went 12" and was the biggest of the day. The first pic of me holding it.

And the second pic of me dropping it. Look close.

The next hold claimed a spinner but also gave up this.

It was another around 10 or 11". I did put a tape to almost all of the fish I caught. 5 went 10" to 12" and the remaining 3 were smaller then 10".

There was a big difference in body size and fight between the 10 and 12. It was a great day on the stream and there were many holes up farther then I went but I had caught enough for dinner and needed to get home so I saved them for another day. I don't tend to eat to many trout but today was special and they sure tasted good. There were no bugs hatching but I was told that today the brookies started feeding on the surface. I am looking forward to getting out again soon and have an invite to go to some stream I have never fished. Its looking like a good week.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Very Nice!

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Thanks for the report and photos.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Nice report! I should be in Iron River at the end of this week after finals to chase some trout and start my turkey season. You've got a bit of a drive if you're scouting turkeys.:tdo12:

Joe

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Nice report. I'll be in the Ontonagon area next week and hope to hook up a few fish for my 6 yr old son to bring in. I heard a report that the rivers are VERY low this spring, the water level has dropped 18" in the big lake and the Superior shoreline has dropped back about 50 feet due to the low water levels. I wonder who’s pumping our water out of Lake Superior.:confused: :(

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Garret said:
Nice report. I wonder who’s pumping our water out of Lake Superior.:confused: :(
No one! You're seeing the results of dry weather in the Lake Superior watershed for several years.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of things contributing to the low water here are the ones I know about.

We had a mild winter again two years in a row. The lake doesn't freeze and so it looses more water to evaporation.

Low spring rains mean less run off.

Low snow in the winter means less snow to melt and make its way into the lake.

all that said. My lake is up right now and the streams I went on were up. We might have low water but its not as bad as you have herd.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Beautiful pics! I need to get out on a river.

And the low water in Superior sucks. I don't know what they are going to do with a lot of the launches around here. Scary low.

Thanks for the report.
Dan

·
Registered
867 Posts
Bow Hunter Brandon said:
all that said. My lake is up right now and the streams I went on were up. We might have low water but its not as bad as you have herd.
The streams I have been to are also up. My favorite stream, where I fished yesterday and today, was probably the highest I have seen it in the past few years. I was definitely not expecting that.

Very nice report, by the way. A lot of success for being this early in the season.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Bow Hunter Brandon
Great pics and report! Thanks
Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts