Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well wandered out a couple time the last week....have scored some nice rainbows around 3-5 lb range off the breakwalls on Superior up here. Was surprised to see they been feeding on Coleoptera (beetles) so guessing they feeding at night in the rivers an wandering out to the cold water during light hours. All the rainbows were packed solid with these beetles.

amazing how hard they hit....slam an run....had a old reel break down on me after setting the hook. Had to pull it in by hand an was real wary about that 6# test slicing my hand on a good run but its amazing what a guy can do for a trout dinner.

never used the barbless hooks much back home.....use them exclusively now and have no issues with them....last one caught had spawn sacs starting already....this common?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
night-crawlers from the backyard...6lb stren clear....1/2oz barrel non-lead with black swivels...then run a leader of about 18-20 inches of suffix flourocarbon clear 6lb...single #6 barbless short shank and a couple shots of air. haven't changed out my hooks so haven't tried casting at all. so i sit an enjoy the comic relief group (gulls) as they laugh while one eye on the rod. One of those simple and basic rigs. Simple slip bobber rigs at 5-6' work as well out there but i do not get the distance in the cast...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know light gear for some...i use 9' which is very flexible an supplies backbone when needed. i get great distance casting an my light line cuts through the water gaining an extra foot or two with cranks etc. The real trophy is winning the battle with patients

1 - 4 of 4 Posts