Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indiana guy here.
I hunted the western U.P. a few years ago (2018) and I am itchy to return. I'm on vacation November 13-29. Do you folks think it's better to go early or later in the firearms season? I'm going to hunt Indiana also, so I will probably be up North 4-5 days. Any thoughts? TIA.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I always perfer the second week. All the southern Wi folk head home, and many of the locals head back to work, which means their massive bait piles get worn down... which leads to more deer movement. Otherwise, they bed close to the easy food and become nocturnal very early on... often before the opener.

Also, you're more likely to have snow. You do get it the first week some years as well, but its random... while you're almost always guaranteed to have some by week two.

Just my $0.02.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
if I had to choose I would say the week before Firearm is the best. I have hunted the UP for 30 years and I hunt pretty much every weekend from Bow opener thru Rifle season. Like said before, second week of rifle is awfully good though. Gonna be tough to top last years Pole as 3 of us tagged 2 3 plus year old bucks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if I had to choose I would say the week before Firearm is the best. I have hunted the UP for 30 years and I hunt pretty much every weekend from Bow opener thru Rifle season. Like said before, second week of rifle is awfully good though. Gonna be tough to top last years Pole as 3 of us tagged 2 3 plus year old bucks.
If I were to come up and bowhunt a couple days before the firearms season, what license would I need to buy?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Combo license is good for 2 bucks with archery tackle with antler restrictions on both bucks…3 on a side first buck…4 on a side second buck. This will also allow you to continue thru firearm season.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Combo license is good for 2 bucks with archery tackle with antler restrictions on both bucks…3 on a side first buck…4 on a side second buck. This will also allow you to continue thru firearm season.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I've spent years hunting there and to me everyday is like opening day. We usually went for 2 weeks but always preferred the second week. Our reasoning was that later in the season we would get snow and snow moves the deer. It's all in what turns your crank.
I always perfer the second week. All the southern Wi folk head home, and many of the locals head back to work, which means their massive bait piles get worn down... which leads to more deer movement. Otherwise, they bed close to the easy food and become nocturnal very early on... often before the opener.

Also, you're more likely to have snow. You do get it the first week some years as well, but its random... while you're almost always guaranteed to have some by week two.

Just my $0.02.

When I hunted the WUP, there was always snow the first week. One year it was 78 on the 14th, but still had snow on the 15th❄❄❄⛄⛄

·
Registered
19,649 Posts
When I hunted the WUP, there was always snow the first week. One year it was 78 on the 14th, but still had snow on the 15th❄❄❄⛄⛄
In 1964 it was 67 on the 14th and on the 15th we woke up to 23 inches of snow. That was back on the Ontanagon river north of Trout Creek. The water in our metal milk can was froze solid.

·
Registered
920 Posts
When I hunted the WUP, there was always snow the first week. One year it was 78 on the 14th, but still had snow on the 15th
Been up there every year for 41 years now... and can tell you that your "always" ain't accurate. Many opening weeks in the rain, some sleet, some 70 and full sun... yes, many in snow... maybe even most, but most definitely not always.

Second week: almost guarenteed.

That said, there aren't any deer up there anyway.... I'd recommend staying home. ;)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hopefully I’ll be up there from November 1-16 this year. The week before the opener is my favorite. But weather can play a factor.
The week before the opener is EVERY arrow chuckers favorite.... Doesn't even matter where you are. Veterans day seems to always be the day to be in the woods!

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
We have killed good bucks on every day of the 16 day firearms season, including November 30th. The second week is often much better than the first week. My wife killed a 5 year old buck on our property on the last weekend of muzzle loader season and we have taken several other mature bucks during muzzy season. As others have mentioned, the week to 10 days preceding the firearms season typically has great buck movement during daylight hours coinciding with rut activity. Any day in November can become the best day of your life.

Trophy Class deer are few and far between but there are quite a few Quality Deer to hunt if you pay your dues and hunt smart.

There is nothing quite like a U.P. Deer Camp:

·
Registered
36,670 Posts
Everyday is opening day in the UP. My walls are full of 3-1/2 year old or older euros and mounts. Without looking at my journal any day is as good as any other day. That includes muzzleloader season. Hunting is much better than it was over 50 years ago but not nearly as good as it was in the early 90s.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Everyday is opening day in the UP. My walls are full of 3-1/2 year old or older euros and mounts. Without looking at my journal any day is as good as any other day. That includes muzzleloader season. Hunting is much better than it was over 50 years ago but not nearly as good as it was in the early 90s.
I agree, but I'd take your date back to the 80's... my old man has a box of antlers that still makes me drool... :) Crazy old man never mounted any of 'em.

But we have plenty of pics (and memories) of us kids helping drag.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Nothing like UP camp!
Absolutely UsedToBeAYooper! As a matter of fact, my son was just here in camp yesterday and today (we did a little shooting to tune up our deer rifles, predator rifles and muzzle loaders). As we sat around the campfire last night we told and retold the stories of his first and second bucks taken at this camp, and several others which now adorn the walls at Lone Oak. We never get tired of "reliving the hunt"....it is what deer camp is all about - sharing memories with family and friends...even when it isn't deer season!

Here they are...Big or Small - they are all trophies to the hunters who tag them and to those who share their joy!

"Broke Rack Jack" (broken off G2 tine and antler gouge in the back of his neck), and another buck he grunted in from 200 yards out!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts