Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fro those that have been I am looking for recommendations for western elk outfitters that won't break the bank but give a quality hunting experience. Probably Utah Or Colarado, But I am open to others. Appreciate the advise.

·
Banned
634 Posts
Hey shotgun: i would start buy becoming a member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and get there Bugle Mag. Another way you could get on monstermuleys.com and become a member and search there guide section they have alot of outfitters on there that are reasonable and give a real good hunt. I my self would look at Wyoming and Montana there is a guide service in musselshell montana that is real good but i can't think of there name right off the bat but if i can remember it i will post it for you. Most western states also have a guide association that you can check out guides on just check there wildlife divisons and you should find it....I hope this helps you see ya Carl

·
Registered
49 Posts
I work as a guide in MT, im actually headin back out tomorrow. The one thing is when do you want to go, next yr this yr, ect?? It will be pretty hard finding an outfitter for this year. In MT you need to sign with an outfitter before mar 15 in order to get a guarenteed liscense. You get one elk and one deer tag which can be used on a mulie or whitetail. Last year we did exceptionally well, shot some really nice elk and some really nice deer, both whitetail and mulies. If you would like more info PM me or feel free to give me a call at 248-459-8664, i'll be driving the next two days so feel free to call, i will have more than enough time to talk!!! i'll try to post a few pics.
BTW- bow or gun??? we are one of the only places you can rifle hunt for elk during the bugle!!

Tony

·
Registered
119 Posts
For Idaho, go the Idaho Outfitters and Guides Association Website.(Don't know it off hand, but you should be able to Google it) Also you can check the Idaho Outfitters and Guides Licensing Board.(Search engine through State of Idaho)
Are you looking for a fully guided or drop camp? Also, gun or archery.
Idaho also has some rifle hunts during the rut where non-res tags are sold on a first come, first served quota.
The local outfiitter where I live has some good elk country in his area, I hunt the area myself. His outfit is the Little Wood Outfitters, I'm pretty sure he has a website now. The horse ride in to his main camp is only 3 hours on average.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Join the RMEF and get their magizine "Bugle", there are a bunch of outfitters out of Choutea that will put you on elk in the Bob Marshall. Montana is one of the "best last places" (besides Alaska..... How many caribou could your family eat?) . Personally, I would try to find an outfit that hunts the the northern fringe of region 4 west of Valier. Chuck Adams shot his last 2 record book elk in region 4, but they were in the Misouri breaks or in the Highwood Mountians? (or at least that is my opinin and speculation....)

I was stationed there for 4 years (in Great Falls) and I am going to retire there in a few years. If you need some inside info email me......

·
Registered
36,741 Posts
Fro those that have been I am looking for recommendations for western elk outfitters that won't break the bank but give a quality hunting experience.
Can you define break the bank? Outfitted western hunts are not cheap.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,146 Posts
http://www.billmitchelloutfitters.com/

I hunted with Bill a couple years ago in the Selway/Bitteroorts -River of No Return (Warning: Steep !!)

The nice thing about ID is that when you but the combo elk/deer license the state throws in a cat and bear tag FOR FREE! :D

I'll be back to hunt with Bill again - QUALITY 8-day wilderness horseback hunt.
Guides know their [email protected]#%# (mine lived in the local mtns his whole life) and the attention to the hunters is top rate all around

·
Registered
428 Posts
Like asked earlier are you looking for va fully guided or a drop camp. We did a drop camp last year and would have done better if we hadn't got the early snow fall in October. We hunted with Sable Mountain Outfitters in N.W. Colorado, they offer both guided and drop camps. The bulls in that area are not huge but there are alot of elk. The opening weekend last year they tagged out in all of the guided camps and the drop camps were more then 80% like I said we only go one 5x4 I missed one and we could have all shot one if we had cow tags. Drop camp was 1100.00. Licenses was 500.00 and I wish I would have spent another 250.00 for a cow tag.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Luv2hunteup said:
Can you define break the bank? Outfitted western hunts are not cheap.
Ya no kiddin. Just the tag is $500 in Colorado. Then make sure you look at all of the costs not associated with the actual guide fee. Like gas or plane tickets. If you fly and you end up shooting an elk. To have it processed and shipped back to Michigan is at least another $500 easy.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EYESON said:
Like asked earlier are you looking for va fully guided or a drop camp. We did a drop camp last year and would have done better if we hadn't got the early snow fall in October. We hunted with Sable Mountain Outfitters in N.W. Colorado, they offer both guided and drop camps. The bulls in that area are not huge but there are alot of elk. The opening weekend last year they tagged out in all of the guided camps and the drop camps were more then 80% like I said we only go one 5x4 I missed one and we could have all shot one if we had cow tags. Drop camp was 1100.00. Licenses was 500.00 and I wish I would have spent another 250.00 for a cow tag.
Looking for a full guided hunt with one guide to two hunters.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips. I know just the hunt is going to be in th 4K range. I Really am looking for a quality outfitter that works hard and provides a good experience. I understand they can't guarantee an animal but I would like a fighting chance for that price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts