Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad, brother and I hit a couple river's today on the westside. The first river we hit only produced some small guys a juvenile steelie for my brother. We covered alot of water, but just couldn't get the bigger one's to hit. I think we were fishing behind another person, so that could be it, or the fish weren't hungry or in the mood. Definate winter mode. The one that my brother caught was a spunky little fella. Come outa the water a few time's, even peeled a little line. But that was to be our only excitement (fish wise) for the first river.

The second river, was a different story. My dad tied into a big steelie within minutes of fishing. But that one found the lumber, and was gone. A little while later, my dad, again, ties into another fish, but briefly. Then not but 5min pass, and my dad say's "fish." I look in the water and see a red stripe, and immediatly (sp) think "Steelhead." After getting it in the net, I look at it closer and here is what it was --->
Definatly no Steelhead, but a nice Coho. I thought these dudes were done? Or are they just arriving? Anyway's, it's been awhile for my dad to be out fishing, so he opted to keep it. My brother hook'd a steelie also, but the fish got the best of him.

The majority of the day we were using spawn bag's tied in 3,4,5 egg bag's, in all different color's. Also through a few stones, yarn, and other various flies. Bother rivers seem'd to be just right, I think, with a some stain. Other's might know better than I.

All in all, a great day was had with dad and brother. This picture don't do this fish any justice what so ever.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Great story and great pic! It does seem real late for any salmon, but I've heard that they can wander in at any given time for one reason or another. Man, gorgeous fish!!
Cheers!!...Sid

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guy's. After he caught it, I told him that it would make a beautiful mount. He just said "Yeah it would." So I think that he is going to get it mounted. I just hope the guy doing it can get the color's back to the way they were.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
For the taxidermist's benefit give him the photo of your dad holding the fish. If he's good at his art, he can reproduce the colors easily.

Thanks for the report and pix Dale.

Do I recognize that river???

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Ended the year with 1 steel and about a 6 pound coho. This was the first coho, out of the river, for me in a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hey whit 1 i believe ive been on that same bend in the river a time or two also :D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Great story and pic Dale! That's a gorgeous fish!....Patch

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whit,

I am pretty sure you do, or you should anyways. As I am pretty sure other's hear do as well, but, shhhhhhhhh!!!! Yeah I should call my dad, to see if the guy has a comp, and send him the pic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts