Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disappointed to find little in the way of reports on the wally's out West.

Want to find a spot to take my sons and troll or jig to get a few eaters. Resigned that we might need to head to the east side to get after them.

We're going to try the Grand River this pm and will report back.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate. Post or PM.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
They all traveling to the east side. There is a big herd of them just crossing under the Big Mac bridge right now heading for Saginaw bay. The ones in landlocked lakes have taken the bus to the east side.

There aren't any left over here........:lol:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
wally-eye said:
They all traveling to the east side. There is a big herd of them just crossing under the Big Mac bridge right now heading for Saginaw bay. The ones in landlocked lakes have taken the bus to the east side.

There aren't any left over here........:lol:
don't believe him, bankerman!:yikes: wally eye, sfw, stein they all have the tour pros following them around and begging for advice!:evilsmile

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lucky I got a couple of PM's with some ideas. I'll keep the faith and try their suggestions before "getting on the bus."

I'll do some digging on old posts/threads and see if I can find out what boats you're in. Change my handle to "walleye stalker." The jig is up wally eye! :lol:

Don't make me head east! I grew up jigging and trolling the Detroit River. What an adventure that was-Alter Road 4am on a Saturday morning. Or watching the steelworkers dump slag at the Rouge/Great Lakes Steel, lighting up the early morning sky. Apocalypse now.

Thank God, my sons don't show any effects from the walleye I ate out of there. :idea: Come to think of it, maybe I should have a paternity test done on them.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
You're surrounded by great Walleye waters. Muskegon River - lots of areas, Croton - Hardy, Brower Park just to name a couple. The Grand River is full of great fishing, Walleyes and then some. Muskegon Lake over near Lake Michigan one of the best big Walleye waters around.
You had a great idea, do a little "searching" on this site for a few old threads, more info than you will want. ;)

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Don't panic. West Michigan has walleye and we know well they go through periods of lockjaw. In the drowned river mouth lakes connected to Lake Michigan the walleye are so well fed during the alewife spawning season that we can't compete with nature. That will be coming up soon, so we just move to the inland waters for a month, then back to the regular walleye action for the fall.

·
Registered
635 Posts
new to the area and just got a house in comstock park and looking for some walleye lakes. Been to lincoln and fremont with absolutely no luck. Was thinking they would be good lakes since the dnr has been stocking them...do these lakes just get over fished. Wanting to go out friday morning..tomorrow...should I try muskegon or hardy dam. If so, which spots should I be looking for on hardy since its so dang long. Also someone had mentioned the muskegon river and the grand. I have a 18 foot fish n ski boat..arent those rivers too shallow for bigger boats?...again thanks a lot. jeff

·
Registered
171 Posts
"Don't make me head east! I grew up jigging and trolling the Detroit River. What an adventure that was-Alter Road 4am on a Saturday morning. Or watching the steelworkers dump slag at the Rouge/Great Lakes Steel, lighting up the early morning sky. Apocalypse now.

Thank God, my sons don't show any effects from the walleye I ate out of there. :idea: Come to think of it, maybe I should have a paternity test done on them."

I grew up on the river too. The water there is A LOT cleaner than most waters in southern michigan. Cleaner then the sagnasty and the Bay that is for sure. only waters that would be cleaner are the naural glacial lakes and the great ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
phd,

That boat would not do on the Muskegon, but you will be fine on the lower Grand. Just don't take it much above Riverside Park which is at the end of 104th Ave. in Ottawa County.

I'm going tonite, so if I get in somewhat early and remember, I'll post here and tell you if I get any...

jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
No walleye tonite on the Grand River by the Gravel Pits...did catch a few largemouth though along the shore.

Windy and warm night too. Still good to be out. Beer was cold and my LVH cigar was wonderful!

Good luck fishing, keep yer rod stiff!:coolgleam

·
Registered
635 Posts
I believe there is a boat launch right off of west river drive. Would that be considered a safe spot to put my 18' boat in the grand....whats consider above GR....the fish ladder? West river be a good spot to try. Just never tried the grand for walleye and I guess is the most underlooked, thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts