Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Stayed in shallower yesterday due to wind, and fished 14 - 16 FOW out from 400 Club. Caught perch, rockies, sheeps, and smallies; but no wallies. Wife and I just set the bow mount on auto pilot, then kicked back to watch a few rods and shoot the breeze...

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Nice pile of a fish fry there !!! I have a buddy who calls them "fresh water grouper" . Prefers them over walleye....
Thanks for the report too. Glad to hear you finally got a day to relax on the water with your lovely wife.

D and L

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
Very nice looking tablefare you have there! I fried up a similar mess of fish for dinner Saturday. Cleaned up another 15 combination of large mouth and smallies yesterday!
But please - quit posting like this? Pretty soon everyone will realize that these fish are as good or better than walleye, and the catch and release days will be history! :mad:
Just kidding of course! Nice job!
<----<<<

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Brought some home yesterday as well. Fine eating. Not perch/gills or walleye but excellent in their own right.

No one should eat them so there's more for me!:D

Harry

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks DandL and Joe Archer :)

And that's funny Joe... especially since it was you who inspired me to fry up a couple of smallies just last summer :) I was convinced that I would not like them, but they have been moving up my list of table-fare favorites ever since. I'll still be releasing many more than I keep, but man... they sure do hit the spot every now and then.

Good luck to all out there!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice haul!!

IMO those are a bit big to eat for smallies. Best eaters are 11-14" . Anything over about 2lbs gets pretty white n tough.
Same as walleyes. We ate 3 that were about 15" and one that was 25" last week. The smaller ones were 10x tastier.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you got in to them, Harry. And I agree... no one should eat those nasty things :lol:

Craigson... Thanks and the min size is 14" on the smallies, but I agree with smaller the better. This wide size range came from not catching walleye, and then deciding to keep enough smallies for a feast. So, we just kept the next four we caught and boogied. Made for a so so dinner last night, and hard to choke down lunch today :lol::lol:

·
Registered
693 Posts
You guys will be happy too know I put five Smallies 14 - 19"s back in the river Saturday night. Pulled up the anchor and changed spots and I kept the six Walleyes I caught. Lost two Walleyes at the boat in the process. Only took two hours to limit out after I got away from the Smallmouths.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
Nice haul!!

IMO those are a bit big to eat for smallies. Best eaters are 11-14" . Anything over about 2lbs gets pretty white n tough.
Same as walleyes. We ate 3 that were about 15" and one that was 25" last week. The smaller ones were 10x tastier.

Not to be that guy but the size limit on smallies is 14", and a 25" smallie is like a 12lb eye in my book if not being mounted i can see no good in eating one that size when the 14-17" you can catch by the 100s... A 25" smallie is pry a 6-7lbr maybe lil bigger than 7 thats a trophy

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Cooked a 17", 2-18", and 2-19" yesterday. Cut them into smallie McNuggets and fed them to the crew. They disappeared as fast as they came out of the oil, still smokin hot! Size didn't seem to affect the taste. I cut them like you would cut a carrot to get an oval, on the diag.

Harry

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cooked a 17", 2-18", and 2-19" yesterday. Cut them into smallie McNuggets and fed them to the crew. They disappeared as fast as they came out of the oil, still smokin hot! Size didn't seem to affect the taste. I cut them like you would cut a carrot to get an oval, on the diag.

Harry
That sure whets my appetite. I'll take smallie McNuggets over Fillet-O-Fishes anyday; and I like Fillet-O-Fishes! You don't need any tartar sauce to make smallie McNuggets taste good.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry guys, didnt mean to confuse. The 25" fish we kept was a walleye not a bass LOL.

Also, I am in Canada and there is not size limits on smallies. I did not realize there was a limit in michigan either. Learn somethin new i guess.

Anyway, was just my opinion. Any of the bass i have seen over about 16" get pretty chunky n "tough"

a nice 12" smallmouth doesn't taste far from a perch.

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
Anyway, was just my opinion. Any of the bass i have seen over about 16" get pretty chunky n "tough"....
My size preference for eater bass is probably around 18 inches - maybe slightly less for smallies. Pretty much any bass around 18 inches and over get put back.
I say maybe slightly less for smalllies because I rate Large Mouth bass as slightly superior tablefare. Large Mouth bass filets have a much less pronounced blood line, and are crystal white in comparison to a "pinkish" filet of the smallie. Small Mouth filets are closer to Walleye in appearance and blood line, but still not as mushy as the walleye filet. :cool:
<----<<<

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
My size preference for eater bass is probably around 18 inches - maybe slightly less for smallies. Pretty much any bass around 18 inches and over get put back.
I say maybe slightly less for smalllies because I rate Large Mouth bass as slightly superior tablefare. Large Mouth bass filets have a much less pronounced blood line, and are crystal white in comparison to a "pinkish" filet of the smallie. Small Mouth filets are closer to Walleye in appearance and blood line, but still not as mushy as the walleye filet. :cool:
<----<<<
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
I learned something new also didn't realize that muskie are really only fish canada has a size limit on, i knew there wasn't on eyes but didn't about the bass. Good to know thanks i bet a 12" smallie would taste great. I kept one the other day around 15" since he swallowed the bait and it was excellent been quite a while since i ate 1 and really couldnt taste the diff between that and a eye... Fished around mouth of st claire and det rvr this am the ski's were very active but couldnt dial in really good on a cpl new spots for smallies but turned out good when we got back to our side hit a cpl 4s and a nice 5 in the river on tubes. Great am on the rive was quite a few boats driftn for eyes and they lookd to be doing good.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sweet. We caught three legal of shore in Algonac today. We didn't keep them though. It was a good day. Nice catch

Gary D.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Well now that the word is out on how good a bass can be on the table I hope that nobody try's Muskie. I have a reciepe for ski's that is wonderful!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts