Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to try it up lexington harbor,weather is looking wet and mild but this is going to hurt the 5" of ice up there.I will post a full report when I get back.Wish me luck because I need it.
Aaron

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well me and a friend Dan started the day about 8:30 out there today.Ice was good and tight and frozen up in the am but very slushy and alot of water puddling up by the pm.Not many people about maybe a dozen till mid day then the place was desserted except for me and Dan.Some perch being caught in the am but not in great numbers.Seen some trout mostly browns crusing around sniffing but not biting anything.Tryed jigging swedish pimples ,little cleos and used some steelhead spawn,waxworms and minnows.Nothing till very late in the afternoon around 4ish my friend Dan has a good fish on and I gaft it few minutes later.I couldnt believe me eyes at what I saw.he says brown and saw kinda like a pinkish tinge and I said steelhead.I take a double take and notice the fish has a doubled kiyped Jaw like a salmon.I said to him holy s$%#T Its a salmon and looks like a small male coho about 4-5lbs in fall color spawning dress.Still had a full belly and hadnt spawned out yet.Underside of jaws and fins were all scared up.Just wish either one of us had a camera :bash: After a high 5 its back to jigging and I get 1 measly blessing from the fish god landing an 8 inch perch.Im like WOW very humbly.I asked the fish gods to be a little kinder to me today and I get a sarcastic reply.Ok 1 little fish for you theres my kindness :lol: Anyways with daylight fading towards sunset I get another strike which felt pretty good and its pulling hard but whatever it was got off.Never got a look at it.By this time we are both chilled to the bone and we call it day.So all in not a bad day ice fishing but not a good one as for catching alot of fish either.Whats new about that?Nothing much for me pretty typical luck but not exactly the best place to go either.Company was good and the outing was fun,temps werent bad and the forecasted rain held off till we were leaving so Im not going to complain.I would like to find a much better place for catching fish through the ice though as lexington harbor is by far the worst it has ever been.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts